How do I handle a sister-in-law that is out of control?

My sister in law thinks that it is funny to teach my TWO year old son the word "prostitution." THEN not too long ago, we were trying to leave a vacation house we were at with her and she was upset that my son was whining because things were taking too long and it was past his nap time (I was waiting so that he could just sleep in the car) and proceeded to say, "Can we hurry up and leave before I kill someone's kid?"

I about came unglued with the last one...Who should deal with her??? I am about to knock her out of it isn't handled soon...

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 1:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• how old is she??? I personally would just keep my distance from her and keep my kid away as well. You need to have your SO have a serious talk with her. She sounds very immature
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:41 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Since you aren't even married to your sister-in-law's brother (is he the father of your child?) that makes the situation even more complicated. Your primary relationship is with your child. Adults are going to say things around him that you don't like. Since you know she is a problem you can make sure you are near him when she is around so you can move him if you don't like what she says or you can say something to him. About the killing comment you could say to him, "some people just say things like that, they don't really mean they want to kill someone."
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:22 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Dont knock her out yet, sit her down explain your concerns if she continues being a pain remove yourself from the situation & your child
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 1:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I would talk to your husband about how you are feeling.... maybe he will be cool with you having a little chat with her (some men are a little defensive for their sisters)

you cant beat her over the head (sadly, right?) but you can talk to her about her behavior and ask her to please knock it off, if all fails.... might just need to avoid her
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 1:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Is she on your side or your SO's side?

I'm afraid if she said the kill thing about my child within earshot of my kid, it would be on. ON. No matter where she came from, I'd be setting her straight.

I wish you luck - those situations are always somewhat sticky and just never fun to deal with. Sadly, we all seem to have at least one moron in our family lol
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 1:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• If you are the one having the problem then you should deal with it. Compared with some peoples family problems, the 2 you mentioned aren't that bad. Sometimes it's better to pick your battles and not sweat the small stuff.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• She is my fiance's sister...
    TitusMom7

Comment by TitusMom7 (original poster) at 1:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Next time she says something like that, tell her to have her own kids to talk to like that and leave yours alone. i had to set my sister in law straight because of stuff like that, shes 17 but I dont care, its my kid. she finally shut up about it when I put her on the spot about it
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 2:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My brother is always telling my dd stupid and wrong things ... now I use him to educate her on how not to do things or what not to say. It irritates the hell out of him and slowly but surely he is stopping. If I got annoyed or angry over it he would intensify the process because that's the type of jerk he is and was to me as a child.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 2:18 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I would not let your child around her until she can behave
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 2:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2010