• In the Spotlight:

Flu Shot

I just had the Dr. give the kids the flu mist and now both have the ... come on guess... the flu. Flu shot ? Flu mist? or None of the above?

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 1:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I once had the flu shot and ended up in bed for 10 days with high fever ..... yep it gave me full blown flu instead of giving me a small dose so my body could produce antibodies against the flu. Same thing happened to my SO so we decided not to give our dd one. Doc agrees with us. Yep we have ended up having a real bad flu over Christmas this year but its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Most years we don't end up with anything. It's something you have to judge. Same kinda thing happened with our hepB vaccines [we have both worked in hospitals and they usually have staff get it] we both do not build up the antibodies to HepB. After 3 courses there is nothing there.

Flu vaccines are usually recommended for those who have respiratory problems and those that work in any profession where they are come in contact with those who have the flu.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 2:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I dont get it, my DH doesnt get it, and my DD never had it. I had the flu once my whole life, same with Dh and DD never had the flu.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• @Muma Sue... you are saying you got the flu from the flu shot but you just posted an article from a website saying its a killed virus.,,,,? you make no sence!

YOU CANNOT.... I REPEAT CANNOT.... GET THE FLU FROM A FLU SHOT.... (keep in mind it taked 2-3 weeks to actually work, so people that do get the flu after haven the shot got the virus BEFORE that time period)
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 2:11 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• The FluMist does contain live virus, and some people will get sick from it, however, it's likely not as severe as it would be if it was community-acquired. It could also be that they did get it from the community, and the timing was coincidental.
    We do get it every year. I've had FluMist before, as has DH, but DS gets the shot.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My Mom just got the flu shot & became bed ridden for days with the flu.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• should have got the shot instead of the mist... the spray in the nose is a live virus.... where as the shot is a dead virus
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 1:54 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• From the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

* The "flu shot" — an inactivated vaccine (containing killed virus) that is given with a needle, usually in the arm. The flu shot is approved for use in people older than 6 months, including healthy people and people with chronic medical conditions.
          Flu Shot: Vaccination Information Statement (VIS)
        * The nasal-spray flu vaccine —a vaccine made with live, weakened flu viruses that do not cause the flu (sometimes called LAIV for "live attenuated influenza vaccine" or FluMist®). LAIV (FluMist®) is approved for use in healthy* people 2-49 years of age who are not pregnant.
          Nasal Spray: Vaccination Information Statement (VIS)

MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 2:07 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• None of the above. There are safer, more natural ways to build immunity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Neither.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• None of the above. DH has had 1 flu shot in his life, and that was the same winter he was sick as a dog. I'm in the "at risk" category but I refuse to get one, and I refuse to have that crap put in my kids' bodies. I've had influenza once, the thing that everyone things the shot prevents (bs), and it really was not that bad, even for me being "at risk" (I'm one of the people who influenza could kill, due to other health issues).
    Anonymous