a question for people that have already quit smoking....

ive been smoking for about 10 years (well, 9, i quit while i was pregnant, and lil longer) i smoke about a pack a day..i reallllllly want to quit. but it is soo hard! a couple months ago i decided that "today was the day"...that lasted a whole 8 hrs!! it was the longest 8 hrs of my life!! its ALLLLL i would think about..and then i picked up my moms dog, it screeched, my mom yelled at me for "hurting" him..i got mad, (i was already stressed enuff) so i went out and a bought another pack..but im ready to quit again, im just scared..how long does it take to not crave them, or think about it anymore? i know im gonna have coughing attacks..how long do those last? what can i do to take my mind off it? (now im sitting here crying, cuz im scared, cuz i know its gonna be hard) i just have so much stress in my life, that smoking is what calms me..i joined a gym, so i think that will help..im already like 100+ overweight..so smoking, on top of my fatness, its like im trying to kill myself..and then i think of my daughter..shes my life, she already has no dad in her life..if i go to, that would suck!! i really just wish i could wake up in the morning, and not crave them at all!!

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 1:55 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Health

• for me i just quite... i felt i didn't need to smoke any more... do to the fact that it felt like all my money was going to smokes... you really just have to want to... it really isn't easy you'll have mad mood swings.. it's just like giving up coffee all that cafine... you can do you just have to want to in order to succed in doing so... just keep reminding yourself it's for my health.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 3:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Okay, first, take a deep breath. I smoked from 16 years of age to 25 years of age, stopping only while I was pregnant with my son. It is going to be VERY hard, but you can do it. The physical cravings will last about two weeks, but the mental ones won't every go away completely. I quite about 6 months ago and still have moments where I want another cigarette. I just decided one day that I wanted to make sure I lived to see my son grow up and have a family of his own and to see my great grandbabies. I smoked the rest of what I had bought and just stopped. Cold turkey works best for me, but you may need a patch or gum. (I couldn't afford either) Getting out of the routine is going to be the hardest part. Just find new things to fill the void that smoking left. Like, smoking after eating, I kept myself busy right after eating so that I didn't have time to think about it. It will get better, just hang in there.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 2:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• wish I could answer.... All I did was join a gym, hire a personal trainer, lit up a cig after my intesnse workout and fealt like shit for doing so... that was the end of that..... I craved them for 2 weeks... and it was hard but the thought of being able to run without feeling winded helped and I put awak 5 bucks a day (as if i were buying cigs) and put it towards a new workout outfit after I lost ten lbs....

My saying is.... If you want something bad enough, You will MAKE it happen....

5 years later, im a personal trainer, smoke free, mother to twins and a happier person
    FITmama2B

Answer by FITmama2B at 2:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I quit because I couldn't tolerate the shitty way it made me feel anymore. Plus, I was pregnant, and that just exacerbated the feeling! I didn't know I was pregnant when I quit, I found out a few weeks later...
    Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 2:54 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I quit when I moved in with my SO ... smoke gave him asthma attacks. I quit cold turkey. It was tough and SO was very very supportive. There should be no nicotine in the blood after 100 hours from the last smoke. It can then take another 2-3 weeks for the brain chemistry to be undone. The mental cravings are another story.I had times when I could just grab a packet of cigs and eat them. But here I am just over 7 years after and not had a craving like that for about 6.5 years. LOL thats about the time my daughter arrived.

Here is a good site to read

MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 3:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• If you need any advice on this or even someone to vent to, I am more than happy to help. This is hard to quit and I have been there before. You should be proud of yourself for even caring enough to want to quit. Good for you! :)
    TitusMom7

• You need to speak with your Doctor.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:23 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• When I quit, I got help from taking a drug called Wellbutrin or generic name of Bupropion. This drug also treat mental/mood disorders like depression. Anyway, U can plan a day when u quit smoking, mean while start cutting down. Wellbutrin takes up to 2 weeks to feel the effects of it working. When you wil stop smoking, the Wellbutrin will smoothe the bouts of getting angry, or anxiety and the withdrawl symptoms more tolerable. This drug will NOT make u gain weight, if anything it will give u energy. U can ask your doctor for a RX, and wal-mart will charge u $4 to get that RX . filled. Think postive if u don't u are doomed to failure. I also avoided the craving "spots"like driving, talking on the phone, drinking beer or coffee for the 1st week. Its been 2 1/2 yrs since I quit, and have not smoked a cig since then.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My husband and Mom quit with Wellbutrin and they said that it made the cigarettes taste awful, so they never wanted another one. My mom quit 11 years ago and bullied my husband into quitting 10 years ago. I asked my dh today and he said it has been at least 6 years since he even wanted to try a cigarette again. He said that a couple of times he wanted a cig and took a drag off of a friend's cig and it made him want to barf. He said it was easy for him to quit because it made the cigarettes taste horrible.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:37 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• just breathe & relax. you can do it :)
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2010