Is it ok to give a 3 month old warm water?

djevica

Asked by djevica at 8:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's not going to hurt. I gave it to my son when he was constipated at like 2 months one time. just be careful!! it's very easy for babies to choke on water because it's different consitancy than milk I used a premie niple when I gave it to my son
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 8:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If your baby is breastfed, no, don't give him any water. Nothing but breast milk for the first 6 months. I don't know about with formula fed.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• why would you want or need to?

there is no point in giving a baby water. They get enough out of breast milk or formula as long as you are following normal feeding guidelines.
    Anonymous

• No.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• My DD is BF and I gave her a little water at a few weeks old to help her poop. Water can't hurt, just so long as the babe is still eating all that they need to each day. Just don't give them so much that is messes up the feeding schedule.

Cris1128

Answer by Cris1128 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• This question has been asked so many times in so many different ways. I don't think it is ok to give a young ababy water. My hospital and ped told me that giving a baby under age 1 water could be potentially fatal. It is too easy to throw off their electrolyte balance. They really don't need any other liquids than formula for the first year (maybe added juice occassionally.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I have also heard that it is dangerous to give a baby water because it throws off their natural balances and can even cause convulsions!
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 11:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Ive given my son Water to cure his Hiccups... not much but just enough.... but Breastmilk and Formula has plenty of water... but it doesn't hurt they just don't really need it...
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 12:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• i was watching this dr that comes on msnbc on sundays and he said that ur not supposed to give a baby less than 6 months old water cause it affects their kidneys. i havnt seen the effects of it, i gave my daughter water when she was 4 months and now she is two.. well she has an over active bladder but that might be because she drinks quite a bit of milk. so call is really up to you.
    charmin0407

Answer by charmin0407 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• why dont you all call mclaren labor and delivery 810 342-1700...and whom ever is against it...

start thinking it over,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Nov. 11, 2008