My 4 yr old cannot pronounce 12 letter sounds....advice please.

He turned 4 December 7. He was a later talker and most people still cannot understand him, including us sometimes. He gets very frustrated and repeats himself over and over, but half the time we cant figure it out...he gets really sad.

c, g, t, z- sound like (he)
f, m, s, x- sound like (eh)
j, k- sound like (hay)
Q - sounds like (pew)
h - sounds like (a)

The rest of the letters sound fine. M is one he cant say correctly, yet he can say "mommy" just fine. I think "m" is the only letter he can sound out in a word, but he cant sound out the other letters.

His insurance is in limbo, Id have to contact someone and pay out of pocket. I figured his speech would drastically improve by the time he's 5, specially if I work with him at home.

Any advice from those of you that have gone through this?

4heartbeats

Asked by 4heartbeats at 2:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Depending on what state you are in most school districts are mandated to provide FREE testing and speech - Contact School District, local Social Service office or Ped. should be able to make a referral to early intervention these are all free services. If you don't have to don't wait especially for a boy - both my kids needed speech for different reasons - my son and daughter spent alot of time with relatives that english was not the primary language so they spoke a hybrid of languages.

mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 2:59 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My dd was the same until she went to kindergarten. After that she was fine.
    They taught kids by repeating the alphabet and using a great site called Starfall. The 1st section is all about the sounds of letters and using words to pronounce them correctly. My dd still loves the site.

This is the 1st learning area: http://www.starfall.com/n/level-k/index/load.htm?f

MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 2:38 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Oh forgot to say you do not have to be a teacher to have access to this and I spent time with my dd .... some of the games are fun. It also goes to the next stages of reading as well.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 2:41 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My two older children used starfall @ school, we use it at home all the time too.
    4heartbeats

Comment by 4heartbeats (original poster) at 2:41 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Most public school systems can test him beginning at age 3 for speech impairments. If he qualifies as needing help, he can probably start at public school and get speech therapy for free. Call the elementary school in your area and ask to speak to the school counselor to find out how you can apply for any special programs for your child.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 2:44 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Thanks ladies, I guess I'll contact the school & see where that leads us.
    4heartbeats

Comment by 4heartbeats (original poster) at 3:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2010