advice on croup....

my son who is almost two went to the er today since his stupid doc is out all week and they told me he had croup they gave him a steriod at the hosp and sent us home with albutrol for the nebulizer and some antiobiotics....what can i do to help him????? he coughs all night i just want to be able to sooth him......my mom said fresh air is good so should i sleep with my window open since i have him in bed with me cuz he coughs so much he throws up.....i just want to get a lil sleep at least and hour would be nice im calling his doc office tomorrow since they answerd the other day and im taking him in as soon as i can cuz its just geting worse and there has to be something more i can do

mama2my2boys

Asked by mama2my2boys at 2:59 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put him in warm clothes, and take him outside. The cold air will help calm his lungs down some, and will mellow out the cough for awhile. Unfortunately, there's not a ton you can do but let it pass, and help keep him from spreading it. Hang in there, mama! He'll get better soon! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• so anyone in the house can get it also?
    mama2my2boys

Comment by mama2my2boys (original poster) at 3:06 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Copied and pasted from "medicinenet.com"
    Is croup contagious?

Croup is contagious, and it is usually spread by airborne infectious droplets sneezed or coughed into the air by infected children. When infectious droplets are inhaled by a healthy child, symptoms can develop in two to three days. The infection can also be spread by infected mucus deposited on doors, furniture, toys, and other objects. A healthy child can become infected by accidentally touching the infectious mucus and transferring the infection into his/her mouth.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• And here's a link for treatment from the same site.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My mum used to look after her friends daughter who had croup. Moist air and cold air work best for relief but I agree with music above, there is not much else you can do except let him know you are there. I know you have already been to see the docs but also wanted to post this for you just in case he gets worse. I hope and pray that he gets better soon. It lasts between 3-7 days.

When to Call the Doctor

Immediately call your doctor or seek medical attention if your child has:

* difficulty breathing, including rapid or labored breathing
    * retractions: when the skin between the ribs pulls in with each breath
    * stridor: high-pitched or squeaking noise when inhaling
    * a pale or bluish color around the mouth
    * drooling or difficulty swallowing
    * a fatigued appearance
    * signs of dehydration
    * a very sick appearance
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 3:11 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• thank you all so much...i do have another question....im pregnant so if i do end up geting it will be harmfull to my unborn baby?
    mama2my2boys

Comment by mama2my2boys (original poster) at 3:25 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• From a quick Google search, it looks like you'll be okay, but I would ask the doc just to be sure. It looks like in adults, it manifests as a cold, and won't pass to the fetus.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:10 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• The recommendation is a cool mist humidifier to help with the symptoms of the croup.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I just delt with this about 4 months ago. my then 8 month old and 3 year old both had it. They were both put on steriod type med.and it went away after awhile.
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 9:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• my son hasnt eatin at all today he refused to but he drank some milk and juice but thats it
    mama2my2boys

Comment by mama2my2boys (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2010