Can I start breast feeding my 10 week old who has severe acid reflux and spits up most of his formula repeatedly?

jandub

Asked by jandub at 4:02 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YES!! Start each feeding at the breast (get him on there before he's starving), switch after the first one is drained, and then once both are drained, then finish with a bottle. It may take a bit to get your supply back up, but you can do it! Try pumping in between to get your supply up. You can also drink Mother's Milk tea, take fenugreek, and eat oatmeal.
    Good luck!!! I hope it helps!
    Also, make sure to burp between breasts!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:06 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• The best thing you could do is relactate! If you need help you can call La Leche League and a Leader will help by phone for free. You can increase your milk quicker by renting a pump and pumping every 2-3 hours.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• As long as your breasts are still there, YES!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• YES! It will take some work and support but it can totally be done!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:23 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Absolutely, and I recommend it. Breast milk is one of the best things for reflux.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• you should :) also ask your pedi about zantac (I breastfeed only and my son still had reflux and had to go on zantac and he is like night and day now)
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 5:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2010