Will my baby feel any pain during his circumcision?

mommy2Be191

Asked by mommy2Be191 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He will feel a little pain yes, but I'm sure the Dr. will give him either Tylenol or Motrin maybe before but definitely after. This is a pretty common procedure and the usual "recovery period" is maybe a day or two.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• yes, my son really wailed. He never was and still isn't a cryer when he gets hurt so I know it was bad! Yea I didn't want to even do it to him but my husband insisted that it was just too weird and he knew quite a few people that had to get it done later in life because of recurring infections (like in their 40's) so I decided to get it over with and save him any pain later that he will remember. I have to say though that once that initial snip was done, he really didn't complain or pull away when I had to clean it and change the dressings so It must just be the initial snip that is really painful.
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Also, you can look on webmd.com and it gives you the topic and overvies of the procedure, etc.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• they say they feel alittle pain but forget it so quick because their memory is that of a fish then lol plus they will give him tylenol
    Anonymous

• Yes it will hurt. I encourage you to do a little research before you decide to do it as there is no medical reason to do it.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Yes. Babies feel pain. Some doctors use a local anesthetic. Some don't. IMO, it is painful procedure that is unnecessary for a newborn.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Yes
    Anonymous

• Ask your doctor to give an anesthetic - most don't use them but if you request they will. Mine has always done it for me.
    meitaimom679

Answer by meitaimom679 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Most peds will give something to dull the pain. My ped did not allow us in the room while he performed the procedure (which in the long run was better. It was over in a matter of minutes and he was not even crying when they brought him out. I'm sure they feel some pain, but their memory does not last long enough to remember it. I think we reacted more than my son did at his diaper changes. In the end I think it is worth it to decrease risk of infections/STD's later in life.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:52 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Sure will, personally I'm not a fan. But lots of babies have it done and are fine afterward. However you chose to go your little boy will be alright, I don't think it could be that bad.

Cris1128

Answer by Cris1128 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 10, 2008