does your kids mess with the thermastat and make the house HOT ?

gggrrrr... we are constantly turning it down and the freakin kids wont leave it alone, they keep turning it up. we like it at 72 !! not 80

mistik75

Asked by mistik75 at 7:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• That is one thing we knew better than to mess with in the house. Man oh man the punishment we would get for toying with the thermostat... Haha. There honestly weren't many things that were off limits except the dishwasher (my mom was very particular about the way it got loaded) and the thermostat. Those two things we NEVER messed with.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Our children would never have dared to have messed with the temperature in the house. Your problem is more lack of respect for you and your authority than it is about the temperature of your home. That can be changed, but it won't be pretty.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:53 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My kids have no business touching anything that doesn`t belong to them. They know it. It takes awhile but I have taught them not to touch anything that isn`t theirs. Best to start them young.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:58 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• We don't have a problem with this with our kids either. I would figure up the cost difference and start taking it out of their allowance or stop paying their cell phone bil or whatever you do. Hitting them in the pocket is one of the best ways to affect a teen.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My 6 year old did it once this year and got a nearly 15 minute lecture about how much it cost and how he's supposed to respond to feeling cold (e.g. put on a sweater). He's not tried it again. By the time they get to be teenagers, I would hope that they'd be on-board regarding family finances and respecting the environment that is provided for them. I agree with Scout_mom - if they're costing the family extra money, there won't be enough to spend on luxuries.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• You can get a clear box that goes over the thermostat with a lock & key. They use them in stores. They sell them at Home depot.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:40 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Nope, they know they aren't allowed to touch the thermostat.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Well mine do, but my husband keeps it at 65 and they turn it up to 70
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Mine has it is wasnt about lack of respect, it was about being cold and I wasn't home to change it so he did. He just made it too hot. My son is very respectful but also very independent and can think for himself and knows what to do if he is cold or hot.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• don't have that problem..so far!!
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2010