Aren't unions great?

The NYC Unions delayed snow cleanup as a protest against proposed budget cuts.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/4478377/did-unions-intentionally-delay-snow-clean...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/30/national/main7197882.shtml

What ought to really make us sick is some folks (including babies) died because help could not reach them in time due to delays in cleanup

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 8:32 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, but don't you know that if the unions don't step in then those workers might not get the overtime pay they deserve. Who cares if some people have to die in the process, it's the cost progress. (heavy, heavy sarcasm)

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:35 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• At one point in time Unions were a necessary evil. They served a purpose and did great things for their members but the power they held is no longer a positive thing. Most of the time now they just remind me of a little kid, the kind that has tantrums till they get their way. The city where I live has been struggling to meet its budget and everytime they try to cut any Union job or benifit they get sued, no cooperation from them at all (one is demanding a 14% raise)
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:43 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Unions have outlived their usefulness.And Democrats on the East Coast are starting to distance themselves from the Unions over the last 6 months or so. Sad to say, but I'm really glad this happened and I'm glad some conservative employees blew the whistle and agree to testify. Hopefully, the bosses who ordered this will be prosecuted civilly and the Unions publicly. Bankrupting the Union that ran this operation is paramount, bankrupting NYC wouldn't be a bad idea either. It might be the only thing that saves the city.

Slow workers are always joked about as being Union Workers pretty much every where I've lived or worked. This is nothing new they just got caught this time assuming all the employees were liberal and willing to go along with these antiquated tactics.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:45 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Had the sanitation workers agreed to a 5% pay cut, there would have been less layoffs and less budget cuts. But no, those greedy bastards have to have it all and then some while screwing their fellow co workers, all the while making almost $100K a year.
    What happened to the liberal mantra of wealth distribution, and how much is too much? It's all ok when the conservatives are coughing up their money but those greedy bastards won't help someone they knew and worked with for years? NYC deserved it I almost want to say and Bloomberg just got his ticket home IMO. Good Riddens to all of them.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:49 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Slow workers are always joked about as being Union Workers pretty much every where I've lived or worked.

I hear ya there.

I have a nice little union story. Where my husband retired from, a Dana plant. A guy shoot another guy in the parking lot. He unloaded nine shots from a .22 into him. There were many witnesses. The man drove himself to the cop shop and turned himself in for it. Then Dana, logically fired him. The Union steward (who was the best friend of the guy shot) was tolld he had to fight to get his job back. He got his job back and was put on paid leave until trial and conviction. What a waste of money. But thats the union for you. Protection of the lazy and worthless and company money.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:01 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I love union stories. My family and inlaws are all big union people, always were. I have an Aunt that Studs Terkel wrote about because of her union activity. Unions not only protect the worthless and lazy, it actually encourages it. I feel that it also encourages violence and vigilantism. When only 8% of the US workforce is union you would think we could bring all this crap to an end. Hopefully, the exposure of what went on in NY will hasten those efforts. Luckily NY has a really good R Congressman who has agreed to take all of this on his shoulders and investigate it to the end.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• It's all VERY sad.

But I wonder how NYC voted?

Anyone guess?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/12/menino_forceful.html

And Boston is talking about closing schools, but the teachers' union will keep their cushy contract. 

Unions have far passed what they were started for and become the thing they fought against. They are now "the man".

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My grandparents were in the garment workers union at the turn of the last century, when union work actually was valuable. But in the past 30 years at least (that's the span of my career so I can't speak to earlier), unions honestly have been more trouble than they're worth.

The most ironic thing to me is that my grandmother's union pension disqualified her for a better level of nursing home care than she got. She made too much to get gov't help, and too little to afford a better place once she could no longer live with us.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:56 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Dana also is now using card check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXGRTWnXbK4

http://www.laborrelationscounsel.com/nlrb-decisions/boards-dana-decision-approves-broader-scope-for-card-check-and-neutrality-agreements/
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2010