Regarding DADT in the fix what isn't broken question.

I guess I should have explained it a bit better. Those of you who did not get that my reference was to the time these "FIXES" where put in place. Do you think DADT was a good fix to the problem?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 8:40 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• DADT made the problem, now it is fixed.

Answer by older at 9:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• *deep sigh.

The problem was, gay and lesbian men and women were not allowed to serve in the military AT ALL prior to DADT. Hindsight being 20/20, it probably would have been better to rip it off like a bandaid and let them openly serve, however, times being what they were, it may well have been a good stepping stone. It allowed people to see that gays could serve and have no negative consequences. This is a good thing.

If you view it as a several decade long experiment, it could be viewed as successful. I'm glad it's quasi-over. I won't feel like they've truly done the repeal till all the provisions of the bill are handled.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• This is a really interesting history (http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/military_history.html)

Our lack of understanding about the true nature of homosexuality is what created the problem and thus DADT in the first place. Once it was determined that homosexuality is a state of being and not a mental illness listed in what is it DSMV? (whatever "the book" of diagnosis they refer to) they should have started to make progress to repealing DADT - but people with their prejudices and preconceptions are hard to change. I'm really glad they're finally making some progress.

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• No, DADT was NOT a good fix when Bill Clinton enacted the law.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

~The problem isnt fixed.... There are still logistical issues that have to be worked out (SSM, dependents, assigments, housing...etc)...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2010