starting a business

I have an idea for a business that would be flexible for my already busy life and would not require a large sum of money to start, just getting a business license.
I would offer my services at what I already do- housework, running errands, taking care of kids and elderly shut-ins, etc.
How do I go about getting a business license and getting clients? Is this a good idea considering the economy right now?

pennycandy

Asked by pennycandy at 8:41 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• Every state has its own requirements for licensening usually. Check your state's website as a starting point. Then make up brochures and business cards, and you can go door-to-door and leaving your information on their doorstep, if someone happens to open the door while you're doing this - introduce yourself, show how friendly you are, make the person feel comfortable around you and explain what you have to offer. Good luck!!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:55 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• A newspaper add will help too.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• You will need to do a couple of things, the errands thing is one dept. the childcare is another and elderly is a third, to have a business license is also going to require the proper Insurance for it all...

I think it can be more time consuming than you are imagining, you are also at the mercy of other's time schedules of when they will want their services done
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I had considered opening up my own errand service business but I kept running into problems. For example, what if the errand they wanted was grocery shopping. Would you want the money upfront in cash or check? What if the check bounced? Or will you take paypal? If you take paypal and they want $100 worth of groceries and your fee is $20 that comes to a total of $120. Paypal will take 3% for their service which is $3.60. So, you come out making $16.40, but you spent $3-4 just in gas driving from your location to the store to the clients home. So, that leaves you $12-13.40. But then you have to take into consideration advertising costs, extra insurance, taxes, etc. By the time it is done with, you will only come out making $8. Cont...

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• And if you already have a busy life, then a customer who may want to use your service but can't because of your other commitments may be upset and tell everyone about their bad customer service they received. If you already have a limited time, but you still want to do this, then your best bet would be to create an account on Care.com and list your hours available, services available, and your price range. You may be able to take in a few regular clients who need certain things done but don't have a set time frame. Good Luck in whatever you decide.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 8:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2010