Barking cough in my 2 year old!?

My poor babys been barking for the last two days..I thought It was just in the morning because of the dry heat in the house, like maybe he just needed some water. But I spoke with his baby sitter and its pretty much a regular thing? What can you do at home for a barking cough? Or do we just need to take a trip to the Pedi? Well be it a holiday it will end up being the ER!?

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My sons are prone to getting croup and that's what it sounds like...a bark...don't let it go b/c the throat swells shut when they start the barking cough and one time our son couldn't breath...we had to rush him to the pedi and he had to get a steroid shot...best of luck to you!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:49 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Sounds like croup!! May be going around right now. Maybe you can take him to one of those stand alone emergency clinics or here in Texas we have small clinics in some grocery stores...you may have to google "croup" to see what they recommend..I can't remember if the child will need an antibiotic to get rid of it...it as been a long while since my son had it.
    mrc809

Answer by mrc809 at 8:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Not usually an antibiotic--usually an oral steriod and possibly breathing treatments. My one son used to get croup pretty much every year.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:57 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I'm not big on going to the Dr.'s, but it sound like a trip will be necessary for you.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 8:50 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• yup, sounds like croup. Try taking him in to a steamy shower until you can get him to the doctor

Answer by admckenzie at 10:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Awww - - poor baby - - that's tough. My son is 5 and had that hacking cough - - - then it stopped and started again. I took him to the Dr. and well come to find out he had Pneumonia. Probably would've found that out 2 weeks sooner had they done chest xray when I took him to the ER at 2:30am cause he woke up crying and saying his heart hurt. OMG - - that was the scariest moment - - but they didn't do anything but listen to his chest and then told me he had an upper respiratory infection.
    rebeccan3

Answer by rebeccan3 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2010