Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can it get anymore confusing?!

im sitting here lookin up info for moving out of the state by the end of the month. I am the non-custodial parent. BUT what makes it complicated is, we never had a custody hearing. I pay child support on my son, and see him every other weekend. even tho there is no visitation in writing, his father has always held it over my head that he decides when i can and cannot see him. Im getting so frustrated, I cant seem to find anything that has to do with my current situation. according to state of Fla, my ex has residential custody or physical... cause he been with him so long.. and im moving, but want to make sure i do it correctly.. any one have a similar situation where they or they know someone that pays, and is non cust parent, and wants to move or has to move rather??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • You should have the ability to move, as you are not the physical custodial parent. If he wanted to move out of state with the child, that would be another issue.

    Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

  • You need to get a court order granting you legal visitation. I would definitely do that before I leave the state.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

  • oh thats top on my list ryansmom... do it as legal as possible...

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

  • Go to court and get custody and visitation in writing BEFORE you move out of state. I personally would have had it done a long time ago. NEVER have children with someone that you are not with without having custody and visitation court ordered. You need to protect yourself and yoru child.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

  • Get a court order BUT know that in FL (i live here too, enjoying the 60 degrees in december lol) it is local or no local not in state or out) Local is if you live within 280 miles of the other parent, non local is more than 280. Both you get the child EOW but with local you get one day during the week too and none local, you get most of the summer. The other thing is, since you are the one moving, you will prob be expected to do all the transportation. My ex moved for the military and even though he is in a different state, he may be listed as local and he has to do all the transportation.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 11:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

  • Bump

    Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.