What are your "MORALS"

I have been told that you don't need to be religious to be a moral person... So what are your morals..

ARE THEY RELIGIOUS IN NATURE?
ARE THEY SOMETHING YOU RESEARCHED?
WERE THEY PASSED DOWN TO YOU?

2boys4momma

Asked by 2boys4momma at 8:53 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Thinking about this question a little more, I realized that many people use MORALS and ETHICS interchangeably, so it makes it hard to describe where personal morals fit into society's expectations. I thought this was a good description of the subtle difference between the two words:

"Morals define personal character, while ethics stress a social system in which those morals are applied. In other words, ethics point to standards or codes of behavior expected by the group to which the individual belongs....so while a person's moral code is usually unchanging, the ethics he or she practices can be other-dependent.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_morals_and_ethics#ixzz19hq0pR1h
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think human beings are natural capable of empathy... this helps to provide us with the means to behave compassionately towards others. We can see others as ourselves. We can choose how to treat them. I think that religion has codified some 'morals' but morality is not dependant upon religion. It is an outgrowth of the ability for empathy.

I know for me, the basis of morality is compassion. To treat others compassionately. What this means is going to depend on the situation. To quote the Dalai Lama: "If you want to be happy, practice compassion. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion."
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My morals essentially come from my own conscious.  Guilt is a very unpleasant emotion so I avoid it to the best of my ability.  Religion has nothing to do with it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:41 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My morals to me are my conscience. There are things I know are wrong and I avoid them. I guess they are religious in nature too, the ten commandments pretty much sums it up for me.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:16 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My morals, IMO, stem from humanity. They involve being kind and compassionate to my fellow man. Yes, my religion helps to support them, but honestly I feel that they are founded on our mutuality as humans, on our inner humanity and what it means to be humane, our conscience/consciousness, if that makes sense. I do believe that this humanity is something we have inherited from God, yes, but I don't believe that one need to be religious to be moral, as it is something we all are born with the inherent potential to cultivate, regardless of faith or belief. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Common human decency is widespread and necessary for the survival of any group. To some extent morals come from just being human, but some are enforced as we're growing up. As mentioned above religion may support this too, but I don't think morality necessarily comes from religion for most people. I do find it scary when I come across the occasional person who says they don't think they could be good without religion, as I think I can be decent, compassionate human being with or without religion. Reading about Secular Ethics (in philosophy) or Secular Humanism might give you more info about these ideas. I agree with Freela that morals come from compassion for ourselves and others, and LOVE the Dalai Lama quote. Pantheism describes my view of God, Buddhism is my path or the tools I use to end suffering, practice compassion, and become mindful, but the compassion and morality itself comes from me.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Morals refers to generally accepted customs of conduct and right living in a society - upright, honest, straightforward, open, virtuous, honorable, integrity... you don't need religion to have a good moral compass.

My morals are not religious they are based on common human decencies. I believe I learned them from family and society as I grew up. You treat others the way you want to be treated. What ever you put out in the world comes back to you.

I know a few religious types that have very few morals (who will lie, cheat, gossip, back stab, etc)... yet they will tell you how righteous they are b/c they attend church and preach to anyone they can corner ;o(

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Some were taught to me as a child others I have learned the hard way. I was raised in a home that was very casual about religion. I know without a god-compass to treat other humans and living creatures with dignaty and respect, just as I want them to treat me.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 9:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My personal morals have evolved throughout the years.. Started in church, religous in nature, but as an adult I am trying to make it easy for my children.. "Do not put yourself into situations where you will be embarrassed or ashamed to talk about it with others. If you need to lie about something, then you should not be doing it!"
    tway75

Answer by tway75 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My morals have indeed been passed down to me, from God. : ) I believe in loving my neighbor as myself, I do not believe in murder (although I'm admittedly on the fence about capital punishment) and I believe in forgiveness.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2010