I asked a question a few day ago about the parallels between Jesus and Horus...

and learned of many other parallels in history. Now I find myself wondering a lot of things. I still have faith in one God and I still Believe in Jesus that has not changed. What I find myself questioning now is this. (I will try to explain best I can) My faith has not swayed because that is what faith is trust with out proof plus the 'story' I believe is no less proof based than any other. BUT a lot of people have made a great many points that also make sense. How an this be? Is it remotely possible that ALL the stories are variations of the SAME story? Is it possible that God made Jesus life reflect past stories to make them easier to accept? There is of course the possibility that I am wrong completely and nothing I believe is true but my heart tells me that is not so. I feel like I am being a bad Christian by even questioning these things but like I said I would still defend my own faith to the ground I just, I dunno, need answers to why my faith is so similar to the ones that I have always heard as 'untrue' (based in my faith of course) Where do I go from here to get the answers I need? What are your opinions and why?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:57 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm just going to address the 'bad Christian' part.

God gave you the ability to think and reason. God gave you this ability so that you can do exactly what you are doing ~ examine ideas and stay strong in your faith. He doesn't want people to blindly follow because they can't/don't know any other way. He wants you to *chose* his way, and know in your heart it is the right way.

So no, you aren't being a bad Christian. You are being a really good one!
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 9:34 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I've always looked at it this way... if there is a divine reality, our way of approaching it is going to differ based on time, place, culture, understanding, etc. It has always seemed most plausible to me that religions are man's way of approaching the divine in a manner congruent with that particular time, place, group, culture, or understanding. In that sense, I think there are grains of truth in many, even all, faiths. I don't think that acknowledging that makes you 'unfaithful' to your own beliefs... you are choosing a path that your feel God has made right for you, without necessarily invalidating the paths that feel right for others.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• You are not a "bad Christian" for the reasons the other ladies have explained. It's fine to look into other religions and beliefs to understand them. For me, I've been all over the map in terms of my faith, and now as a Christian, when I look back, I can see the parallels but I still believe in the Christian God, Jesus as the Messiah, the Trinity, etc. Now when I learn about other religions, it strengthens mine because I can see how much God loves us and I know that I am saved. I know where I am going after I die. Studying a diffrent religion will never change that or take it away from me. I have my testimony of how God has saved me, changed me, performed miracles in my life, and has never left my side. I'm assuming you do as well since you state you will defend your faith. You have nothing to feel guilty about, that's just the devil sweetie. God Bless!
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:44 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with questioning however I want as a sister in Christ to caution you on this... Remember Satan will come as an angel of light and make things look as though it is similar to the things of God. He is a copier, nothing he ever does is original. So he will spin out stories that will make it look like the story of Jesus is nothing but a story like others. This is one his devious tactics that he uses on the body of Christ. Many have been swayed from believing in Jesus because of these little tiny twists. The most famous of all is what he did to Adam and Eve... He told a truth but twisted it in such a way that it was a lie as well. I am glad you are solid in your faith, I knew many people including my ex husband who believes those lies now. So no one is safe unless they are deep in the shadow of His wings and deep in His heart and word. Just be careful. This is the reason I do not go deep in studing.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• It is possible that Jesus existed, was a teacher, a prophet, and a good man. He certainly taught many positive and useful things. I believe that it was his followers desire to make him into a super god-man that caused them to take fantastical facts from many myths and cultures to create that image. In seeking to make their religion as significant and important as other religions that they knew of, they borrowed from them to turn an ordinary, godly man into the superman son of god. If you believe in certain parts of the bible, we are all god's sons and daughters and, in that way, Jesus was the son of god. In wicca he is believed to be an ascended master--a wise soul. Does he really HAVE to be a miracle-working god to qualify as a good, wise person? To command our respect? Maybe all he had to be was what he was--human and enlightened.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• not sure about what to tell you hun, for me this was a very major reason that I am no longer a believer (not the only one, but a big part of it). When I was in high school and took mythology- I started to see the bible and christianity as myth -like the Egyptian, Norse and Greek mythologies we were studying. I think there are people who are christians who see it as how you described:
    " Is it remotely possible that ALL the stories are variations of the SAME story? Is it possible that God made Jesus life reflect past stories to make them easier to accept?" and that is what works for them and makes sense to them. There is nothing wrong with questioning religion. To question something so personal and that is such a huge part of your life should not feel wrong. My parents were horrified when I took that class-I think they thought I might learn something...and I did- I am much happier now though with what I believe.
    cont.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:44 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• It is what works for me and feels right. You may just come up with a different explanation-which it seems you already have, and that's fine too. If it seems right to you- then go with it. Christianity or any religion for that matter does not have to fit neatly into a perfect little box
    though there are churches and denominations that would have you believe that they do...

LIVE* LOVE *BE* BELIEVE
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:47 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I feel like I am being a bad Christian by even questioning these things but like I said I would still defend my own faith to the ground

------

My personal take on things is that there are often more similarities between religions and philosophies than differences, because there are universal 'truths' about compassion, love, etc. It's up to you whether you want to learn about other religions and history in general to see how they correlate with your faith. It's your personal road to take though, and only you can decide what all this means from a spiritual or religious perspective. I did want to say that even when I was a Christian (and maybe not all Christians are told this--I don't know), I was told that you get closer to God by the questions you ask. Personally, I think it's a good thing to ask questions, and those questions may change what you originally thought or they may reaffirm what you always thought.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• these things because I must use wisdom and protect my heart from the evil one.
    Again there is nothing wrong with questioning... He wants us to go to His word and ask Him questions about what HE says about HIS son. Bless you! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• You are not a bad Christian because you are asking questions....you are going through a period of learning and discernment....this is good. God gave you a brain and expects you to use it. Don't be afraid to do just that. The likely outcome is that you will come through this period with a faith that is a bit different than before, but more mature and deeper...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2010