Is this all I can do to break his fever w/o medications?

My son is 20 months old and keeps getting these high fevers but when we give him meds or he begins to cry, he throws up. it's freaking me out since his fevers get so high. I've been giving him baths, putting a cloth on his forehead and giving him alot of fluids that aren't milk. I plan to take him to the E.R when day breaks but is this all I can do to break it down without medication? It began this morning when he threw his milk up and had a slight fever allday. I gave him 2 baths and he just sits on the sofa watching cartoons as we speak.

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Define high fever first of all. A dangerous fever isn't until it goes over 104-106 depending on who you ask. You are doing the right thing with luke warm baths and a cool cloth. If is tummy is upset you can talk to the doctor about suppository Tylenol. The box says 3 and up but I know my kids got it younger. You would need a doctors dose though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:20 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• it's about 102 - 103
    CandieGirl09

Comment by CandieGirl09 (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• That's high but it's not dangerous. It just seems scary because they get so pathetically mopey. I would call you ped and see what they think. They may have some good ideas for you. I'm sorry your LO feels so bad. :0(
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:23 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• u can keep him hydrated with pedialyte. Then call the doc
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 9:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yes and when you touch them, it makes you quinge thinking about how sick they feel. He's watching kid cartoons that he barely ever watches on tv. all he's ever really watched is baby einstein so it's pretty odd that he is sitting still watching airplanes that arent cartoon. it;s good when he seems enthusiastic to take a bath at 6 in the morning tho. lol. thanx for your sympathy. it isnt easy trying ur hardest to get your baby to feel better. it helps to have ppl to ask questions without having to wake up mom.
    CandieGirl09

Comment by CandieGirl09 (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• From my experience the Children's Motrin worked alot better, quicker for fevers..but that was recommended by the pedi of course so i'd run it by him/her first. Pedialyte is great and also keep him out of warm clothes. Maybe just put him in a light weight t shirt and a light blankey when he goes to bed. I hope your little man feels better soon, I know how miserable it is for both them AND us when they are not feeling well!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Uncover him or keep him very lightly covered. If he is covered itll keep the heat in and his fever will stay. You can also do luke warm bathes. Not too cold and not too hot and itll also bring it down. When you go to the doctor ask about doing a tylenol/motrin switch. My doctor when they got high fevers had me give tylenol, then motrin, then tylenol. You have to get their permission first it is hard on them and there is a time table for it but it works every time.

Answer by gemgem at 10:10 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• He is going to keep throwing up until you get his fever down. Keep giving him the fluids but make sure he is not drinking a lot at a time because with his fever so high it will just make him throw up again. Work on little sips every 15-30 minutes. After his cool bath and his fever is down at that point give him some Ibprophen (Advil works best) and then continue to alternate tylenol and ibprophen every 2 hours to keep it down. When mine were so small our pediatrician would call in phenegran suppositories which is anti-nausea medication so we could get the fever reducer in and then they would sleep the rest of day and get over the bug. You are doing all of the right things. If he gets lethargic, or begins showing signs of dehydration like around his eyes turn dark and his lips become shriveled then take him to the E.R. asap. You may want to take him soon anyway since it is New Years Eve &Friday it may get busy.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I would do very light clothing and a cool towel on forehead. I remember my aunt use to rub alcohol on the feet and put sock on and that actually worked.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2010