Son's third birthday party ideas?

My son has never had a bday party, really. Usually it's just family, but we live so far away that we won't be seeing family this year and I want to have a very small party for him with a few other kids his age. I'm just not sure what to DO! I've already invited people to my house and bought Disney Cars decorations and stuff because that's what he wanted! But I'm not so sure that 2 and 3 year olds are into organized games and activities. Actually, every child will be between 31 and 36 months old. Is having finger food, cake, presents and then just letting the kids play totally lame? Should there be games or a craft or something? I just can't think of anything age-appropriate to do! What do you think?

winkie_pinkie

Asked by winkie_pinkie at 8:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I filled envelopes for the little kids ones with lightnin mcqueen with a car cover on and ones where he wasn't covered. they picked out of the bag and if they found him not hiding they got packs of hot wheels cars or barbie dolls. You can do pin the tail pipe on tow mater and give out gifts. You can make Cars Bingo, Just use construction paper and glue on clipped pics of the cars characters and print extras for them to place on the picture when its called. The little kids will need help from parents but its always a hit. You can get little paper frames from a craft store and let them decorate them with cars stickers or print cars coloring pages and let them decorate and color those. For the adults I did a how well do you know Alex survey with questions like whats my favorite food, when did I take my first steps printed on cars paper. The winner got a 25.00 amex gift card
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• A coloring contest is always fun! Also pinatas!
    DBKels

Answer by DBKels at 3:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I think that sounds fine to just let them play. I wouldn't want to do games with prizes because then some kids wouldn't get things and they might feel bad at that age
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 7:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I'm an Event Planner and at age 3 all the kids want to do is play. If you have any cars or toys that the children can ride on that will be fun for them. You can have a contest. You can always find those kind of toys at a thrift store. Coloring is fun for them. Coloring Sheets with your Cars theme and/or one big long sheet of paper across the table as a table cloth and let them go at it. Little toys cars from the dollar store are other toys the kids will just love to play with. Just a few ideas.
    mrskwilliams

Answer by mrskwilliams at 10:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I printed off Lightning McQueen coloring sheets yesterday and that was about the only thing I could think of for them to do! Also, I thought maybe I could just use paper lunch sacks and let them decorate their own treat bags with crayons and cars stickers? I figure that about fills the attention span of a 2 1/2 year old! And yes, my son has tons of cars and stuff to play with, plus each child will get a little toy car in their treat bag, along with a pack of cars crayons and a cars notepad. I thought about getting a pull string pinata, but it's 2 weeks after Halloween and who needs more candy!?! Pin the tailpipe on Tow Mater sounds fun, but I don't think I'm a good enough artist to draw him and I haven't seen anything like that in the stores! Thanks for all of your input. I think it's all coming together now!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 11:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• last year at my son's 3rd birthday party we had a total of three kids all around the same age... we had a bouncy house (which my son got from his uncle for his birthday) and that was a HUGE success... we let the kids take turns and when they got hungry we ate cake and drank juice.. of course we put the bouncy house away after that so they wouldn't puke... then we had them play racing games n the garage... and everyone got a little ribbon saying your the best... the other thing we did was i bought all different colors of play doh and cookie cutters... we let them decorate those and keep whatever they made... it was pretty fun watching them use their imaginations and even some of the adults joined in too...
    ilovenikhil

Answer by ilovenikhil at 10:29 AM on Nov. 13, 2008