how can i get my kids to appericate me

they never do what i ask them to do

mommainthehouse

Asked by mommainthehouse at 10:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• us parents have to put our foot down like me i take away cell phones and ipods and no computer time at all until they give me respect.
    chika2000

Answer by chika2000 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Taking away privileges doesn't make them RESPECT you... but it should at least get them to do what you tell them... with complaints.

I use my mom's method... consequences. My son doesn't clean his toy or games, it's HIS problem when he can't find them. Doesn't put clothes in the hamper? HIS problem when he has nothing clean.

It works.

As to RESPECT with no grumbling? That will come later... when they're adults and appreciate you!

Answer by gdiamante at 10:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I would say they're not going to appreciate you until they're old enough to realize what you've done for them - well into their 20s, sometimes 30s. Don't expect it to come soon.

Now, if you mean obeying and respecting, that's a different story. Respect is earned - by saying what you mean and meaning what you say. If you say "clean your room or you can't play today" then do it. Once they see that if mom says it, she's going to follow through, you'll earn their respect. Also, they'll learn that if I don't do what mom says, there will be consequences.... they'll do better. Does that mean they're not going to push? No way - all kids push. Adults do, too :) It's human nature :)

Good luck! :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• try and be fun before asking them to do something. if they don't do it, then say that you will return whatever you recently got them or not do fun things anymore. tell them if you do something nice with them, they can do you a favor. this surely isnt the best way, but if you've tried everything else, it should work
    teentweenstyle

Answer by teentweenstyle at 2:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• When you figure it out let me know too!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 3:09 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Appreciation comes later in life, or at least it did for me.
    Give them boundaries and rules or they will find them else wear.
    Be clear on what you expect.
    Always follow through on all threats.
    Tell them you love them, even if they roll there eyes.
    Listen to what they have to say, even if you don't agree.
    Don't judge,
    Let them express themselves with in the rules
    Support constructive uses of time, even if you don't get it.
    Be there role model, not the friend
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:56 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My kids wouldn't always listen either but when they had to make mothers day cards in school the poem that was inside the card said it all and showed lots of appreciation. I don't know about you but even if your children don't listen all the time, that hardly means they don't appreciate you since you are the one that is constantly taking care of their every need. I find it's the little things that they will do when you least expect them too that matter and are all forms of appreciation.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2011