Is he ready?

I have a 2 1/2year old son. We are starting to potty train and not having any luck, We started him out slow and he loves to sit on it, wipe and flush the tolit but not actually go. I was changing his diaper one day and I noticed he was starting to go so I ran him to the bathroom. He screamed and cried the whole time he sat there, Does this mean he's not ready and I should let it go for awhile or keep pushing?

littlefee89

Asked by littlefee89 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've only night potty-trained a child, not full potty-trained.....but I don't think taking him mid-stream is the way to go about it. Have you put him in regular underwear so that if he does wet he realizes how uncomfortable it is?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Give him a book to look at while he waits. My son just turned two and a half and he has been potty trained since October.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:53 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I have put him in underwear he just pees in them and asks for his diaper back. When we change for bed they love to run around in their diaper so I normally let them for a short while. Last night I took off his diaper to see if he would tell me and he freaked he wanted his diaper on.
    littlefee89

Comment by littlefee89 (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• he may not be relizeing just yet that he needs to go. Id say dont push it kids potty train at their own rate and he will take intrest when hes ready. You can keep letting him sit on his potty when he wants to and if he wants big boy underwear on let him but i wouldnt push it or you will just be potty training forever.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• lol my first was the same way.. give him a few months and then try again.. he dosent sound ready!
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 12:15 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Sounds like he's just scared about going in the potty. Keep trying, and once he actually goes you praise the heck out of him. And he'll start to get the hang of it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2010