Crib Dilemma

I don't know what to do. I"m so frustrated and confused... Do I NEED pack n' play crib AND a wooden crib???? The pack n play I want has a a changing station on it AND place for her to sleep, my husband does not understand why we need one of these if we are going to get a wooden crib and could change her on our bed.... I thought the pack n play would be good for rolling around the house from living room to bedroom for when she grows out of her tiny bassinet. Am i going crazy? Do we need BOTH??? or is he right... do we need one or the other.....

Mskixxalot

Asked by Mskixxalot at 12:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• when ds was born i had a regular crib. when we moved to nevada when he was 7 months we just got a pack and play for him to sleep in because we didnt take the crib. with dd she used brothers crib but i had a pack and play and a bassinet. she had sleep apena and wore a monitor so have all three was helpful
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 12:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• i had both but the pack n play doesnt have a mattress on it just a thin pad for the baby to sleep on i would suggest getting the crib it has more room and a thicker more supportive mattress. I never used a changing table always the couch or my bed. I think the pack n play is more for traveling
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I like the pack and play for the first 6 months. Baby can sleep in our room. It has the bassinet part in ours. So it is bigger then those bassinets you get. Then baby moves to there room at 6 months and sleeps in the crib. The pack and play then it good for when you on trips. But I know everyone feels differently about this things.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• We preferred to have it. I liked because the bedrooms are upstairs. If I needed to, I could put my baby in there for a short time while cleaning etc. I liked it because I was able to see them while doing what I needed to. I didn't leave them in there for long.

It was a need for us.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Both is good.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• It's really a matter of what works for you. When mine came home they were in the bassinette for 6-8 weeks. Then they went strraight to the crib. I also had a changing table. I know lots of people who think the changing table is a waste. Too me it was a lifesaver. I never got in the habit of changing babies on beds..invariably they poop or pee and then you're stuck changing a whole bed. If you can afford both, do both. If finances are tight..skip the pack and play. You can do it without a a P&P...but you will NEED a crib.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Both is best. I usually had the wooden crib set up in the nursery and had it match all the things I bought for the babies room. I had a pacl and play for the livingroom mostly, that way the baby could sleep in it when I was in there. It was also helpful when we traveled or went somewhere because I could take it with me. I found using a pack and play as a crib isnt the best idea. My daughter tried it with her now 2 yr old and it seemed she was forever cleaning it. It stains easily, and having a crib just seemed better to both me and her.

Answer by gemgem at 12:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yes, I needed both. I used the Pack & Play downstairs for during the day for changing & napping & I used the crib at night so I could always be close when my Son slept. The Pack & Play keeps everything organized & neat (diapers, wipes, creams readily on hand so you never need to walk away to get anything. Also get the pad that goes in the pack & play, it's nice & soft to sleep on. Once my Son could stand, I used it in my bedroom and took the top part off & used it as a play pen when I took a shower. I used a bassinett first and hated it!!! It was so hard & there were no extra pads to put in to soften it. It ended up being recalled so I got my $ back. I am pregnant again & I think I am going to buy another Pack & play just for my bedroom.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My husband sleeps during the day, and works nights and we're strapped for space. We live in a two bedroom apartment, and have a 3yo DS. I don't want the baby to wake him up when it arrives in April, so I'm getting a pack n play w/ bassinett so the baby can sleep in that during the day, out in the livingroom. The baby's crib will be in our bedroom, so he's close to me and I don't have to go far to get to him at night. That way the boys won't have to share rooms until the younger one is old enough to share space well. Hopefully we'll be in a bigger house by then, but the pack n play will make life a lot easier. I also go to visit my family once or twice a year and stay for a few days, so the pack n play is a necessity for those trips. It comes in handy.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 12:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I'm getting both, I dont think you NEED it, it will just be nice to have. That way he/she cane sleep anywhere like you said. Even if you go visit family, you can drag the pack and play along too. :) All about preference.
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2010