Considering that prior to DADT, gays and lesbians were not allowed to serve in the military at all

How do YOU feel the transition from not being able to serve to being able to openly serve should have been handled?

Try to consider the frame of the mind of the nation at the time it was enacted...

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it's a big deal. Really, with a lot of people you know anyway so it can't be a huge shocker to find out. Sure there are people who try and hide it, but that's their choice.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• So the repeal of DADT repealks the law sying gays cant serve in the military? Or JUST that you cant ASK? Sorry I have been away a while and this is something I havent understood.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• The repeal of DADT means that once the military has jumped through the hoops in the bill, gays and lesbians WILL be allowed to serve openly.

Prior to the enactment of DADT, they were not allowed to serve AT ALL. (obviously wrong.) My question is a spin off of one below, where the unpopular policy is deemed unsuccessful.

So my question is, if you could have personally handled the transition from gays not being allowed to serve, to being allowed to serve openly, how would you have done it?
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• my opinion... there is nothing wrong with a gay or lez joining the military there are so many ppl out there today who wont join b/c of fear.. and a gay and lez will step up and fight for out country than they are more of a person (my father thinks gays are lesser ppl) than any straight person to scared to join. i support them 100% some of my best friends are gay and they are amazing in everything they do
    Meghan6391

Answer by Meghan6391 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Actually, gays and lesbians HAVE been serving, they can just be out about it now. They've had to hide it from their commanding officers and other leaders, but many of their fellow service people have known. I've been in the military, and believe me, I served with LOTS of gay people. They are just selective about who they come out to. Once the repeal is made official, they won't have to be so careful about it. Most people I served with never thought serving with gay people was a big deal, from what I saw, anyway.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I am not really sure of my opinion on this. I do not caere if someone is gay. I think that it is great that someone who is would want to defend this country. My concern is, if there is a homo-phobic person serving along side someone who is gay, what happens then? So, I guess I will just have to wait and see how this decision effects those in the millitary before I can really form an opinion in this subject.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 12:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I would have opened it and let the chips fall where they may.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I support gays and lesbians serving. That's not a question.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

Carpy

Answer by Carpy a minute ago
    ------------------------------------------------
    Probably would have been the best approach in hindsight. But would most of America have accepted it, considering the climate of the nation at the time? Or does that not matter?- Not snarky, even though it probably sounds it, actual question.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

~agree
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2010