Without your religion would you be an immoral person? (s/o)

If it is so unbelievable that people can have morals without a religion (or as it usually comes up, the "right" religion), does that mean the people who practice it would be running around killing and stealing if it were taken away from them?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't have a religion and I have my morals.

Answer by older at 12:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Morality has nothing to do with your religion so YES, Id be a moral person without mine.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I certainly wouldn't. Even if I found out tomorrow that there is no God and no need to have religion I'd still believe in being moral because of our connection to each other through our humanity. I'd still want to be a good person, even if the idea of being a good Christian were somehow rendered meaningless, if you get what I mean. Though I'm not one of those who seem to think that no one can be moral without religion in the first place, so I'm not sure if that helps... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think it's sad how many people think that without religion, people are immoral. There are plenty of religious child molesters and drug dealers, that I don't think religion makes a difference in a person's morality. I also think it's sad how exclusive many religions are about people of other faiths, that THEIR faith is the RIGHT one. Who's to say which faith, if any, is right?
    My father is one of those people who thinks that if you're not a Christian, you're not moral. I got away from the religion a LOOOONG time ago, and I have led a very moral life, even without religion. I think that being less judgmental of people is a more important moral to have than being Christian.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• (haha, wouldn't as in wouldn't be IMmoral, lol)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• morality is conforming to a standard of right behavior
    immorality is defying a standard of right behavior
    amorality is living without a standard of right behavior

So to answer your question, without a standard of right behavior you would be an Amoral person.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I have a question for you.... do you believe there is a difference between the word immorality and the word sin? I
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Absolutely not. I was actually just reading a bunch of different studies on morality in animals. I find it alarming when people say they would not be moral without God or someone watching them or if there wasn't some kind of reward or punishment at the end, especially when there's considerable evidence that many animals even exhibit moral behavior. I think you should be good for it's own sake. I was actually thinking about doing a similar spin off question myself.

One of the articles I was just reading:

Animals can tell right from wrong
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• without a standard of right behavior you would be an Amoral person.

Are you suggesting that without a religion you do not have a standard?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Animals are not AS effect by SIN as we are.... they do not have a sin nature like humans do!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 31, 2010