My husband doesn't seem interested in the pregnancy.

i have a very loving, caring, supportive husband. This is our first pregnancy together (my 2nd his 1st) and while hes kind and sweet, he just doesnt seem interested. HeKs a "kid at heart" kind of guy and when i mention that hes not acting interested or asking questions he comes up with silly, off the wall questions like "if its a boy can we dress him as batman to leave the hospital?" its cute and all but i just really need him to be interested in whats happening in the real world. Any ideas??

stephanieroske

Asked by stephanieroske at 12:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My husband hasn't been interested in either of my 3 pregnancies so far. I even felt that he would show no interest in the baby until it was old enough to go places with him. He shocked me big time when he would come home (once baby was born) and want to hold him. During my pregnancy I couldn't get him to talk about names, he didn't care what growth the baby had made in the past week, he did not care to go to any of my prenatal appointments, etc. Last night I asked him if he wanted to feel baby # 3 move for the first time and he showed no interest. Kind of breaks my heart.

All you can do is trying talking to him, voice your concerns about his non involvement with the pregnancy, tell him what you expect from him during this time, try to not make him feel like a horrible person. When it is important he will be there for you. Good Luck!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Well guys cant "have" babies so it is a little different for them then it is for us women. We feel our bodies change, the kicks and all of that. We are bonded with the baby long before the baby is ever born. For men, it isnt really that way. They love their kids I think, but the bond we feel comes sooner simply because we are dealing with body changes. Id give him a break. If hes a good husband and has been a good father to his previous child then I think itll be fine. If you have questions about your body ask a female friend, or the doctor.

Answer by gemgem at 1:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• why is it important that he knows or is interested in whats going on with your body? he's obviously excited about the baby, leave the gross stuff out.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My husband was not interested until the end. I brought books for him to read(with first child) but he didn't care until I was like 36wks same with second child.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 1:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• You can't force him to get excited. He can't feel the things you can, his body isn't changing like yours is, and it's not tangible yet for him. Some guys don't get into it until the kiddo is actually here. Some guys don't get into the infant thing, but once the child is more interactive, they're TOTALLY into it. Try to be patient with him, keep him in the loop (ignore any childish responses), and don't let him take the wind out of your sails. =) Congratulations!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• You metioned in your post that he is a kid at heart. He may deal with things differently and not take things so serious. His way of sounding interested may be the silly questions he is asking. I am sure things will change once the baby arrives. He may be nervous as a first time father and being silly may be his way of dealing with this. I think giving him some time he will get better with being serious and more interested. Try not to worry ...
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• How far along are you? My daughters dad didnt seem into a first and did say some things...but when it was time...i had her and he was all into her and regreted the bad things and her and son come first. Give him some time, do you ask him to goto the dr apts? make sure you make a point to say you should really come to the ultra sound apt...he would really enjoy it. but you cant force him. some guys just dont get fully into it until ITS TIME...dont get down by this even tho it will be hard not to cause i did too, but trust me...he will be exstactic and you will see it all when everything is happening and if you have another he may go all the time to drs and be all into it. he may regret not doing it this time but just give him some time.
    holly0306

Answer by holly0306 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I kinda feel like a woman feels like a mother since conception and a man feels like a dad when the baby is born, Hang in there.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 1:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• He is a guy... they arent going to be or act as interested. Just wait til he holds that baby :) It will all change!
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• thank you momofone for calling my changing body "gross stuff" i ment the actual developement of the baby.
    stephanieroske

Comment by stephanieroske (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Dec. 31, 2010