Why is there such a HUGE divide just between POLITICS and religion?

I am intentionally posting this twice and intentionally posting it in P&CE and in RD, because it pertains specifically to those two areas and the way politics and religion are intertwined - this is not about cafemom or individual personalities, but about the idealogies behind the two areas of debate.

When subjects come up that involve morality or religion, why is it the Christians who post in the P&CE section seem to have a very different view of their faith than those who participate in the RD section?  It's clearly demonstrated when a question is recategorized from one section to the other.  Do politics directly influence one's interpretation of their faith?  Do they even take the place of someone's religion?  Even when there's a similar core group of people involved in both sections, why is it one is more intolerant than the other?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Can you give specifics?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Don't know. I don't much bother with the religion section. I see no point for me. I am a relativist when it comes to religion unless you are killing people in the name of it.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Can you give specifics?

Compare the answers to these based on what section they are posted in.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• The original question and "answers to these" are both ambiguous.

Personally, my politics are informed solely by my religion.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• From the little time I've spent in the RD section, I have been struck by how little people there know about Christianity.

Which can be an impediment when trying to treat the subject appropriately.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think there is a faction of politicians (from both sides of the two-party isle) that have managed to commingle religion and politics. Not necessarily Christianity/Catholicism with politics, but they exploit the religious in order to gain their own "discipleship." I C/P'd this from a poster on the RD forum.

ITA, particularly with the highlighted portion. For many, religion can offer a clarity and rock in the face of everyday situations and problems; a temporary safe haven from whatever haunts. Religion can hold fears at bay. Manipulation and persuasion (politics) can be added to the equation with this perfect audience. Of course, only my opinion.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• , I have been struck by how little people there know about Christianity.

So your contention is that the people who discuss religion regularly are just less intelligent than those who don't? That's interesting, considering it is in that section that you'll regularly see citations of both direct scripture and other historical and academic works that either support or refute them, while in this section, it seems to deal in generalizations.  For example, there may be a lot of disagreement on finer points of doctrine shown here, but I'd hardly say that's people who know "little" about it.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• NP- ITA^. In light of the fact that there are so many denominations of Christianity that each believe and accept varying religious dogmas, this assertion is ridiculous. How many people are knowing of all tenets of each denomination?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I cant spend time in the RD section for any length of time. The abject hate and meaness spewed towards "ALL" Christians makes me crazy. The way the hypocrites lump ALL Christians together while in the next breath yelling not all Muslim people, Jewish people, ect are ALL the same is just hard to take over and over and over :/ As for ME MYSELF as a Christian I am more of a I dont believe there is one way to the end game kind of person but I am conservative in my views. I am thinking the the RD section is frequented MOST by the extremes of ALL religions. Whereas The politics section is frequented by the extremes of POLITICS and not so extreme in the religion. KWIM?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• People's New Testament

Timothy3:7
    Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Listening with greedy ears to every one that comes along, but never learning anything.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2010