Why is there such a HUGE divide just between two areas? (repost for different audience)

I am intentionally posting this twice and intentionally posting it in P&CE and in RD, because it pertains specifically to those two areas and the way politics and religion are intertwined - this is not about cafemom or individual personalities, but about the idealogies behind the two areas of debate.

When subjects come up that involve morality or religion, why is it the Christians who post in the P&CE section seem to have a very different view of their faith than those who participate in the RD section? It's clearly demonstrated when a question is recategorized from one section to the other. Do politics directly influence one's interpretation of their faith? Do they even take the place of someone's religion? Even when there's a similar core group of people involved in both sections, why is it one is more intolerant than the other?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think there is a faction of politicians (from both sides of the two-party isle) that have managed to commingle religion and politics. Not necessarily Christianity/Catholicism with politics, but they exploit the religious in order to gain their own "discipleship." As a result many people who believe they are following the teachings of their religion, are actually following the teachings of a political party who use religious "buzz words." This is sort of what "statism" is - when we follow the government as our lord (master/teacher/etc) and provider. I've heard it said that the biggest threat to Christianity in America is statism.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 1:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• For me my beliefs frame the way I lead my life and how I see things. For instance, I am pro life and will more likely vote for a pro life candidate with a pro choice candidate. I do that simply because to me I want to know the person I am voting for shares similar moral values I do. I also however look at other things beyond beliefs, like experience and also the way a politician actually votes once placed in office. There are alot of people who run for office claiming to be lets say pro life who maybe really arent.

I think it would be naive of anyone to believe that their personal religion/spiritual beliefs dont shape their decisions every day. They do. Not just in politics, but in almost everything. We judge other people around us based off what we believe and our own life experiences.

Answer by gemgem at 1:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• ...why is it the Christians who post in the P&CE section seem to have a very different view of their faith than those who participate in the RD section...

----------

Good question. I've wondered this myself. I personally find many (of course not all) of the people in the P&CE section to be rude and hateful, and sometimes avoid that section for days if I don't feel like dealing with any of them. I do feel like I can have discussions with most of the people who frequent the R&B and RD sections--more so than in that other section. I still answer when I'm in the mood, but there are several over there who claim to be Christian who don't really act like many Christians I know or very Christ-like IMO. I do wonder if people who really focus on politics a lot sometimes treat others worse than those who only have a little interest in politics, but I DON'T really know. It probably just depends on the individuals to some extent.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Great points Pam. Maybe those who more frequently hang out in RD actually walk the walk? I have a hard time believing that anyone is a hardcore (add denomination/faith group) member, when I read some of the degrading, disrespectful, judgemental garbage posted. One can post religious verses all day long, but when they are  followed with the aforementioned crap, the message is lost, IMO. I never take those posters seriously-and it has zero to do with being emotional- I attended religious schools and was raised in a religious home-never was I instructed to judge others, use profanity to or at others or hit other faith based groups over the head with MY message. I was never compelled to believe or else...fear was not involved- Sadly, some are missing the message-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Well in any question you must decide which thing is more important to me..

For some their political opinions are more dominant.. Such as Dem's and Repub's.
    For some their religious opinions are more dominant... Such as Protestants, Catholics, AND Athiests.. etc

Frankly depending on the day.. I may only answer Religous questions.. Or only Political questions..

But for me I intentionally try to keep my answers similar..
    I would never ever say that I am on the same emotional plane from day to day either.. One day I am more quick tempered.. Other days I am more cautious.. etc..
    I personally think it comes down to personal opinions and how they are presenting themselves that day.. JMO
    2boys4momma

Answer by 2boys4momma at 2:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Thanks, Sisteract. There are probably people in each section that are judgmental or hateful at times--and everyone has a bad day or retaliates some--even I can think of a couple of my questions that I wish I would have reworded. I tend to look at the pattern of their words not any one question or answer, so I really only remember the ones who have personally attacked me or I see attack others regularly.

I posted these questions in RD section, and I sort of wish I had also posted them in P&CE to compare the types of responses, but I got the impression from most that extremists shouldn't be used to judge entire groups for either post.
    A question for Christians about extremists and Another spin off about Muslim extremists
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• hmmm. It's an interesting question.

Personally, I find I have to be in a particular frame of mind to hang over in R and B. It's emotionally taxing at some points to find that someone who believes the EXACT OPPOSITE of you on every single level can have just incredible amounts of knowledge about your religion. Sometimes, more than I do, because their knowledge has come from more sources, whereas mine, well, it's come from the church, the Bible, and my random alternating years of Christian school

There's an atheist on here that astounds me with her knowledge on a daily basis. As well as several other religions, pagans, etc. It can be difficult to read over here, and even more difficult to come up with a response that even sounds intelligent.

It can be difficult not to see that as a personal attack. It's NOT a personal attack. Not even a little bit. (con't)
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Excellent points lovin. I also have been enlightened and enticed to more thoroughly research other religions by a couple of posters here. Some of these posters are very knowledgeable and their posts represent a breath of fresh air-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:23 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• so how does this translate to the differences in sections?

The women who answer over here, in R and B, are able to separate the differences- the rejection of Christianity is not a personal rejection, where I feel the ladies over in P and CE, tend to be a little more myopic. I'm not intending that to be insulting.

It comes down to whether or not you enjoy discussing all religions, not just your own. I do, I do enjoy that, but some days, over here, I feel dreadfully inadequate.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Im really not sure
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 5:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2010