how did u quit smoking?

did u do anthing to help tone down the craving? i have never smoked but my mom has been for yrs. she wants to quit for the new year

mzQ

Asked by mzQ at 1:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Health

• cold turkey. i liked my best friend and he didn't like my smoking. he was more important than a stick of tar. now we're married with a daughter.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I quit cold turkey as well. I was 25 but started smoking in high school. Anyways...I ended up getting a blod clot in my lung and almsot died. Smoking is a contributor to blood clots so I just quit. I mean I knew you could die from smoking but I thought I'd be like 80 when it happened. 25 yrs old with 2 kids was way to young go. Wish your mom good luck and she CAN do it.
    DreaB83

Answer by DreaB83 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Cold turkey. I tried quitting more than 10 times before I actually stuck with it. Just be the support and constant reminder for her. And it's unreasonable to think she will never be tempted again. I quit more than 5 years ago and I still want a cigarette when I see someone smoking. It's not something that is over and done with in a month....it's a lifelong battle.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 1:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• cold turkey. i really didn't have much of a choice, i found out i was pregnant and for me personally, i would never not give my child a choice. and that is what i would have done had i continued smoking. i didn't want her breathing in all that nasty smoke and tar!
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 2:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• sorry i got off track.. just love your mother and be there to constantly support her! :) good luck to her!
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 2:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Banana-bear-I still want to smoke too especially when I'm around people who are smoking. But for me I just remember laying in the hospital thinking my kids were going to lose their mom at such a young age. That's the only thing that keeps me from just taking "one" drag. Thinking about it right now even makes me want to have one and it's been 3 years! But congrats on being smoke-free for over 5 yrs!
    DreaB83

Answer by DreaB83 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My mom quit cold turkey because of her health.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I congratulate your mom. I quit cold turkey 31 years ago this Feb. It was the hardest thing I ever did. Be helpful and kind to your mom. Tell her, Grams is on her side. Keep us posted.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 7:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2010