Should I let my 13 year old boy start going out with a girl?

My son is practically still a tween and he is getting interested in a girl. Im nervous should he have a relationship this young?

supermom0901

Asked by supermom0901 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I wouldn't let him date one specific girl, but maybe group dates, with mixed company. He is awful young IMO, but being social with girls in group situations will help him in the future when you are ready to let him.
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 10:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• No, he is way too young.
    dollydimples419

Answer by dollydimples419 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• At this age my mother dropped me at the mall or movies with a group of kids. I don't think I would let my son go on a solo 'date' at 13.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 11:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My SD is the same age and I am dead set against it because of my own fears. However, I think that in group settings and if need be...adult supervision...it is okay.
    momrocks

Answer by momrocks at 12:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• what about sports? get him involved in sports!!! 13 is too young to start dating!!to have crushes yes...but to start dating...maybe a bunch of friends together to a movie and you drop him and her off and pick them up to take her home? but alone...wouldnt you be concerned of teenagers being together alone? i so feel for you on this one....i remember when mine were that age!! one son and two daughters !! scarry!!
    nanatoalot

Answer by nanatoalot at 12:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• HELL NO! JMO.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 1:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I agree with the group outings. I would never let my 14 yr. old go out with a girl alone. He does have a girlfriend and we constantly have to pull him off the phone but we do not allow them to be alone together. Her parents totally agree with us. They are allowed to go on group outings or family outings together where there is always supervision!
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 9:38 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I have news for you, he will start developing relationships with girls whether you "let" him or not. It is better to guide him than try to supress him. Let him go places in groups of boys & girls together. If he wants to call a girl he runs with in the crowd his "girlfriend" I wouldn't try to interfere with that. Just keep him well supervised when he is with girls & no harm will come of it. As long as you keep reinforcing your values & keep your eyes (or other trusted adults eyes) on him you should feel confident in his blooming interests, which are completely normal.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• NO! Group dates are better at this age.
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 12:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I always told my girls if they say that there going out with someone i would say "where are you going and how are you getting there"
    themomof2girls

Answer by themomof2girls at 10:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2008