How do I deal with my son not getting along with neighborhood boys?

They are constantly fighting. Calling each other names. There is a new event every week for them not to get along. I don't agree with cussing or hitting. And these boys do it. I have talked to one mother about it and she seems concerned. The other isn't and just says boys will be boys. I have sat the boys down and talked to them about respecting each other. They are sweet boys, but I can't take this anymore. Should I stay out of it and let them deal with it? Or should I just not allow my son to play with them?

SlackerMOMleZ

Asked by SlackerMOMleZ at 9:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I say "boys will be boys" but there is a limit, for sure! I don't let mine cuss or fight, and if they are caught, they are punnished. Sometimes, boys are just rougher and tougher and more competitive. There really is nothing we can do about that. I wouldn't ban your child from playing with these boys. I would distance myself a bit, and let him know what you expect from HIM and teach him what is right. This is the age where you can loosen the reigns a bit. my kids are "ornery", but I've noticed they usually make the right decisions when I let them. If you have taught him right, which I'm betting you have since you are concerned, you shouldn't have a problem! Just keep an eye open from a distance to be sure they are not getting into other things!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Thanks for the comments.

He comes home everyday saying so and so said this or "f" you or your a "b" to me. I tell him it is not to cuss and if other do just ignore it. But I think they are being mean to him. Or maybe he is just being too sensitive.
    SlackerMOMleZ

Answer by SlackerMOMleZ at 9:38 AM on Nov. 11, 2008