what should my daughter wear to her first social/dance?

she's 12 and it's her first dance. she has no complete fancy outfits, but should she even dress fancy? what's normal? She's tried asking her friends but they just say, "i dunno yet."

teentweenstyle

Asked by teentweenstyle at 1:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• this depends on the dance. is it a private party like a friends house or at school ? on her invitation did it say anything about dress style? is there an RSVP # you can call ask? I'd say almost for sure a dress.....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• it's for school- and they said nothing about dressing accept for it has to be appropriate.
    teentweenstyle

Comment by teentweenstyle (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I am assuming this is a middle school dance. My daughter is in 8th grade and other than the 8th grade semi formal at the end of 8th grade the girls usually just wear jeans or skirts and a cute top.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Call the school and ask the secretary/office manager of the school, they will be able to tell you what the norm is.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 4:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• jeans and maybe extra sparkles on the top.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:19 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Appropriate probably means no super short skirts/dresses and no tops that expose the chest. Lol.
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 5:26 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• When my daughter went I got her a nice capri outfit. (6th grade dance was in May). In 7th and 8th grade they all wear jeans and a nice top. My son, 7th grade, wore jeans and a polo shirt. Boys are much easier for this than girls!!!!!
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2011