• In the Spotlight:

How can I help my daughter get comfortable at her grandparents house?

When we go over to visit my in-laws, my daughter gets upset every time we go. Normally, she doesn't spit up or cry too much but does it in mass qualities when we are there. She constantly wants to be held rather than play on floor even when someone tries to play with her. Sometimes when she is held by her grandma, she comes back to me smelling like her perfume and having a rash on where she rubbed up against her. It only seems like she has the problem with her grandmother, she likes being held by grandpa and smiles at him a lot. Could it be related to the fact that my husband has a strained relationship with her and that she has been bothering me lately?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just try to duplicate her activities and comforts from home, at grandma's house. My son absolutely loves going there for the 1-on-1 uninterrupted attention. Your child will adjust as she grows older. Bring the right blankets, snugglies, play toys - and just try to ensure she feels safe and comfortable whether she's home, at grandma's or at a friends house. Routines work really well.
    momtobedepot

Answer by momtobedepot at 2:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• How old is she? I'd try and have her in her own space as much as possible (In the middle of the room or next to her fave person) like a highchair on wheels, a bumbo seat, etc. Depending on her age a few walking/push toys for her to explore, etc.......... and try and have her least fave people try and feed her so she can try and bond w/ them
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• It's hard. My husband and I lived in CO together with out daughter. Since he only has a year left in his military contract we thought it would be best if I moved home to start school since credits won't transfer. I moved back home with my parent's and my daughter was very hesitant at first. She know will stay alone with them and my husband's parent's but it wasn't easy. Toys Blankets anything you can do.
    ah2590

Answer by ah2590 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• You answered your question. Your child has an allergy for yo MIL's perfume. Of course she will cry. Itchy red spots are not fun from granny's perfume. Speak to your MIL or get your HB to speak to her about this thing. I am sure if she doesn't wear that perfume when your baby is there than your daughter will be fine with her.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 2:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I would let everybody know that she is allergic to perfumes and any fragrance stuff, like aerosoles and carpet freshener's. I would take along a baby play set or blankets. She might be fussy bc of all the different smells. Let her play on soft cushy stuff and stuffed animals. Babies love to be played with and ticked with soft touches and lullabies sang by someone. GL

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 3:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2010