If you do not believe in GOD do you still celebrate Christmas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I DO believe in God and No I do not celebrate Christmas. Cause christmas has nothing to do with God
    Anonymous

• i dont belive in god and i still celebrate christmas i have been for yrs im sure you can do it if you belive in god or not.. theres alot of people out there that dont belive in god and they still have christmas.. sorry if that didnt help..
    jacksonsmumm908

Answer by jacksonsmumm908 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Yes it is everything to do with God and his son Jesus. It is in my house
    Anonymous

• nowhere in the bible does it say Jesus was born on Dec 25th. Go to the historychannel.com You can see where christmas came from. pretty interesting :0)
    Anonymous

• If it wasn't the 25th of Dec. then why do so many Christians believe it to be so? I'm not being confrontational.....just asking.
    Anonymous

• Nope I don't believe in God or Jesus and we do have Christmas (for lack of a better term) or Xmas in our house. Santa, baking cookies, decorating a tree, exchanging gifts are all that are mentioned. We celebrate a time for family, togetherness, etc.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:41 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Christmas in it's literal sense is just a commercial holiday about giving to the ones you love. This is not a Christian concept but a universal concept.

It's about presents and giving. Nothing more. Heck, Jesus was born in late August or early September! not December. That was a pagan holiday. If you ask me, Christians shouldn't Celebrate Christmas then if it really is a celebration Jesus' birth, but no they choose to celebrate it on a Pagan holiday
    Anonymous

• I know he wasn't born Dec 25th, but that's the day that Christians chose to celebrate his birth. Why wouldn't I want to take a part in that? It doesn't matter to me that he wasn't born then...what matters is taking a day to remember his birth and being thankful for friends and family.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Anon 8:41 -- Biblical Scholars say Jesus was actually born some time in September. (According to the clues in the scripture) Christmas was created to incorporate pre-existing pagan winter celebrations (Yule for one) into the Christian faith. Decorating a tree, mistletoe, wreaths, the day of celebration.. they all pre-date Christianity. This helped transition people easier - if they could keep their familiar holidays. I don't actually know of any Christian holidays that aren't "stolen" from other faiths. They did that pretty often. (No offense meant)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:45 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Serafyna is correct. There is an interesting documentary on the History channel and I am sure they will play it often during the holiday season. I'm sure you would be interested to see why so many different faiths still celebrate on this day -- not just Christians.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2008