• In the Spotlight:

this may be a stupid question but

is it okay to eat shrimp when you are pregnant? i called my midwife but she hasn't called me back yet. I'm asking cause i was told i had to be careful with what fish and seafood i eat when pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Shrimp are fine. They want you to stay away from raw seafood like sushi, and fish that contain higher levels of mercury (tuna, swordfish, shark).
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I was always told no shellfish, including shrimp.
    Anonymous

• so funny that you ask this because shrimp is my all time pregnancy craving! lol i eat it all the time, and i ate it all the time with my daughter too. its the raw fish like sushi and swordfish that you should stay away from due to the high levels of mercury. if the bag says cooked shrimp, you're good.
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 2:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• What Nanixh said.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I ate shell fish and shrimp the other day and I started throwing up and had huge stomach aches a couple hours later. I am 28 weeks pregnant. I'm not saying it is bad or good, but my case must of been an isolated case of food poisoning or something. I guess it must of been raw or not fresh enough seafood.
    babysavy9

Answer by babysavy9 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I eat shrimp... just not every day. I'm 30 weeks.
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• WTF, voted down for stating what MY midwife told ME?! Grow up people. And go ahead, vote me down on this too, I know someone's just that juvenile.
    Anonymous

• Shrimp are considered safe, as long as they're properly cooked. Enjoy!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I always heard that any kind of shell fish was bad during pregnancy. But I really can't stand any kind of seafood so have not ever asked or researched it. So I don't know. Best bet is to ask your doctor which I saw you are trying to do so go ahead and call her again.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 31, 2010