what can i do to build up my milk supply?

my dh is 5 months old. he still nurses every 2 hrs. normally he just nurses off one breast for about 10-20 minutes. he has gained weight up until the last few weeks when he started to become more active.
i need to get more milk stored up because dh and i need a date night. plus he has paid for a spa day for me. i have some milk in storage, but i dont think it will be enough to last any period of time since i need to still get him used to a bottle.
i kno i need to drink plenty of water and make sure i am eating healthy, but what else can i do? i am currently pumping after each feeding on both breasts and getting about 1 oz per feeding.

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 3:15 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Fenugreek, Mother's Milk tea and oatmeal are all pretty effective, as well as beer with a lot of hops (don't overdo it on that one!).
    I don't think you need to worry about building up supply, however, but rather, getting more pumped. A great idea to get a TON of milk in the freezer is to pump while you nurse, meaning pump on one side, and nurse on the other! You'll get the hormone release this way, which means you'll have a MUCH better let down than when you simply pump, which is purely suction. I once got EIGHT ounces on one side this way!!
    Enjoy your spa day!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I don't know how to spell this so bare with me, lol. My mother in law had me eat rudabegas. I used to put them in stews or I would treat them as if they were a potatoe. They are a mix between and potatoe and sweet potatoe. They work and are healthy.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Well, healthier than some tricks I have heard like drinking a beer.a day ( I guess the yeast has an affect) I never tried it, but I guess its supposed to work. I was just too nervous to try it.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• There is a mother's milk tea, it doesn't taste very good, you can add honey to it for taste. I find that drinking milk helps or ovaltine and decafinated sodas like gingerale is yummy too.GL
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 3:26 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yeah beer does give it a instant boost, but it doesn't taste good, it isn't harmful in moderation.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 3:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• take fenugreek! 3 pills 3 times a day! u can buy it at the vitamin stores! or a protein drink every morning helps me too!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• If you can hold off on the spa day and date night, you might be able to give whatever milk you DO have pumped, and supplement with solids, baby will make up for missed nursings at night in most cases, and it's fine, esp since it's a once in a while thing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• pump in between nursing, not after you nurse is also what I would suggest, I pump and nurse my son...mostly pump since I work but after I nurse him I get 1/3 of what I get when I pump in between
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 5:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I breastfed two babies and what I did to produce milk was: Drink a lot of water, relax - stress slows down milk production (beer has a tendency to relax people, that is why most people recommend it - also alcohol in small amounts will not hurt the baby ), make sure and get up in the middle of the night to pump. As one said before me sometimes pumping while feeding the baby releases more milk. If you are using a manual pump you might want to try and electric pump, they have more suction. If you are not feeding out of the breast for a 6 to 8 hrs stretch you should get 4-6+ oz.

There are several things that can slow down milk production, an infection of the milk duct which can be painful, dehydration, stress, not nursing/pumping often enough. Have you started feeding your baby rice? If not you could talk to your doctor or start feeding a little bit of rice which would cute down on his demand for milk.

Good luck!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• drink water, eat protein, try fenugreek, maybe a beer.

http://www.causes.com/causes/538780?m=0c8d1b9f&recruiter_id=122321632

DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:49 AM on Jan. 1, 2011