Wedding question

Ok, I am planning my wedding and there is something that I want to know. Has anyone ever heard that it is customary for the father of the bride or groom to sit 3 rows behind the mother in the ceromony if they are not together? Apparently, it is a well known custom, since several people have told me about it. My parents are getting divorced so this is why I ask.

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• Im not sure but this is your day and your parents both deserve to be in the front row (and put aside their differences). My dad will not sit any further back if it was me. If anything Id have one on one side of the aisle and one on the other. But both still right up front
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I have no heard that. I would have them both up front as well.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• The only reason I considered it is because they don't get along at all, if they sit near each other, it is likey that WWIII will break out at my wedding.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• No, Ihave never heard that.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 9:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I (well a family friend) made my MIL sit next to my FIL during the ceremony, she was acting like a child about it and was not going to come. It would have been better if she just had stayed home!! I've never heard of that!
    momma2b2008

Answer by momma2b2008 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I have never heard of that custom. www.theknot.com is a great website for information on pretty much any custom or tradition.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:38 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I would discuss with BOTH of them that you expect a drama free wedding day and that, if they can't do so, they need not come...
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 4:13 AM on Jan. 1, 2011