parent's bringing dates to their children's wedding

Ok, so my parents are getting divorced and I am getting married in March. My mom wants to bring her boyfriend (my parents have been separated for about a year). I like him, and I have known him for a while, I have no problem with him comming. The problem is, I don't even know my dad's girlfriend, never even met her. I am having a small 60 people wedding and I don't really want to invite someone who I don't even know. Can I invite my mom's boyfriend without inviting my dad's girlfriend. And if it makes any difference to anyone, me, my fiance' and my mom are paying for the wedding.

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• Considering my relationship with my dad I def couldnt.wouldnt tell him that he could not bring a date
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Nope you need to leave it open for your Dad to bring a date of his choice, whether you know her or not.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Normally everyone brings a guest/date, I feel like I would let her come.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Set up a meeting soon. You can decide then whether or not to invite her

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think the general rule is to invite the individual plus one. Your father's plus one is his girlfriend. That really is his business. And if she is comfortable then no issues. If your father will be busy with giving you away, daddy duty as father of the bride - then she may not really be all that comfortable. But that is for him to talk to her about. No need to start drama. Just be graceful and a good hostess, enjoy your day, and all will go well. It isn't about your dad's relationship. The day is about you and your relationship to your new husband. That is the key. You will have other days to and other times to discover if you really like this person or not. And to be really frank, your dad shoudn't care if you like his girlfriend or not. You are a grown adult and soon to be married woman. Your not dating her, he is. All that matters (for him) is if he likes her.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Well like I said, it is only a 60 people wedding so I am not inviting everyone to bring a date, only those who are married or engaged. Oh I forot to mention, her boyfriend is paying for our honeymoon so of course I am inviting him. I have had to cut out a lot of people because we had to cut the budget, I don't think that on my day, I should have to cut anymore to invite someone I don't even know.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• well then it sounds like you already made up your mind! :)
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Well I know I don't want her there, I just want to know if it would be rude for me not to invite her when I am inviting my mom's girlfriend
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• opps, I am boyfriend lol
    JLS2388

• I would be hurt if I was your dad.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2010