Is there anything wrong with giving my 2 year old Benedryl for a plane ride?

I asked my husband to pick some up so I can test it out before we get on the plane next week. He says he doesn't want to "drug" his child for any reason and doesn't see the point. REALLY?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Snacks, toys, and a DVD player with their favorite movies/TV shows can be what you need. Make sure you get up and let him/her walk the aisle here and there, too. DS has always been fine, and he's also 2. If you're not the only adult, you and your DH should trade off entertaining your son. I agree that meds are not the best route- he's not a cat.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I wouldn't do it. He's just a kid, if hes not sick, there's absolutely NO reason to give him medicine that will make him drowsy.
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 3:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Why ask if you're going to get upset over it? You asked for people's opinions!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:39 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yep I just can't see any justification for it. I have 3 little ones that I travel with all by myself all of the time and they do just fine. If you have to adults to one little one then why? I just don't get it. I am with your husband on this one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I have never done it. A plane ride will be exciting for him. Let him enjoy it! Just bring snacks and things to keep him busy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I wouldnt drug my child either...I agree with your husband.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 3:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• "OMG! Fine! I hope you all get to sit next to my over active 2 year old for 3 hours in a confined space and enjoy ever second of it - I won't! "

Grow up. You asked for opinions on DRUGGING YOUR CHILD TO GET HIM TO SLEEP. Did you expect everyone to tell you that you are world's most wonderful mother and that we all wish we could be just like you? Sorry, not going to happen. Bring a bag with some toys, coloring books, crayons, etc and keep him entertained.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 3:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yes. Really. Drugging your child is wrong.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I don't see any good in drugging your child for a plane ride. I've flown numerous times alone with my children and never thought for a second about giving them unnecessary medication just to make my trip easier. To be quite honest, I think it's horrible. Expect to get bashed by other mom's on here.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I have been there with a 1 yo, 2 yo and 3 yo in tow. Sure they will be kids but you get what you expect out of them. Bring snacks and a few toys and you will be fine. You just do not like that people are not agreeing with you and agreeing with your husband. Very mature way of taking our answers.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2010