Showing my DH WE are ready to try for baby no. 2?

My husband and I want to try for another baby but he wants me to show him in writing that we have the money.

We have insurance but we don;t have maturity coverage (extra 150 a month-- at least it was a year ago)

Full HSA (health savings plan) for us it's 3,000 a year

potential bed rest --- emergency income loss money (this happened last time for 4 months and we were no where near prepared)

What else and I not thinking about?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 3:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• The cost of additional childcare?
    There are few things that I can think of that would make such a huge difference between one kid and two, besides diapers and formula if you aren't bf-ing. But being prepared to pay for additional childcare and the days at work you will miss running an additional child to the dr for well and sick visits, plus additional time missed at work because an additional child is sick.

slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I am a home child care provider/owner so child care is free to me and I have basically free sitter most of the time regardless of how many children I have. Also I could run one child to the doctor while the other(s) stay home. I would miss out on the income but only slightly because the children care is licensed for mildly sick children, so I might need to take an hour or two to get the the doctor but a sick child could still be in my child care.
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Do you have someone to run your daycare if you have to go on bedrest?
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• cost of diapers, formula if you decide to not BF/or can't, clothes, carseats, cribs, dr apps, etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• What about savings for retirement and college?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Insuring the baby after he/she is born.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• The way that my friend/ business partner have it worked out , if I were put on bed rest we would hire one extra part time person and I would do all of the book work (while can be a full time job lol). But, I wouldn't have to pay for the extra staff, that would come from the business account.
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• savings and retirement are excellent solutions
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• No one is ever financially ready for another child unless you're crazy rich. There's so much more to it than money.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:58 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

Spoken like a welfare queen.
    Anonymous