Why do people still fall for crash diets and diet pills?

With New Year's resolutions, I keep seeing posts about people looking to try them. WHY do people still subject themselves to these things, even though we ALL know how dangerous they are, and that as soon as you stop them, you gain the weight back?

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 3:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I agree with ^ about desperation...people are always looking for a quick fix for their problems, including weight and health related ones. It's just soooo much easier than doing the work.
    Also, for some people, I think it's naivete/ignorance. They really just don't understand how the body works, what it needs, and how to make and keep it healthy. They haven't bothered to really delve into the subject; they see commercials or hear other people talking about how Diet X or Pill Y helped them lose 50 pounds in 6 weeks.
    Sadly, I just saw a report a couple of weeks ago on the news about how the FDA is going to be lowering the requirements for getting lap-band type surgeries that will make it available for people who are just considered overweight. I just shook my head that it's come to this. And hey--I WAS overweight, I'm not preaching from the naturally skinny girl camp here!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• desperation

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I completely agree with vicesix! If more people would do a little research and learn how their body actually works when it comes to losing weight, they would soon realize that nothing works except for eating healthy and exercise. And why people don't get that if there really was a "magic pill" out there, don't they know that it would be plastered ALL over the news?! lol
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:50 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Well because being hungry is the hardest part I dont take diet pills but I keep getting so hungry
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Desperation and believing those dumb commercials.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:57 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I think some people just really do not know better and shame on all these companies that try to suck people in just to make money.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Die t is a scary word.... I choose to say eat healthy and live healthy.....some people want a quick fix
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Yeah quick fixes are always going to be tried first....and there IS a "true" quick fix...once you figure it out. Y'know, figure out what your body wants and needs to increase your metabolism, finding the right combo of foods, etc. Once you do that, you WON'T be hungry, you WILL be satisfied and you WILL be healthy. (and, yes, I'm still trying to figure out what my body needs...been close a few times, but haven't hit the mark yet) =)

mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 1:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• its to convincing ! I love the new products I take and it something you can take for the rest of your life !

MelissaAsh

Answer by MelissaAsh at 11:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2011