would you feel furious if your mother inlaw smoked in your husbands car after she was told not to smoke in the car?

My husband had to take his mom to the doctor for test. I purposly called to remind him to tell her again not to smoke in the car. After he got back we needed to go somewhere and the car STANK liked cigaretes!! I was EXTREMLY FURRIOUS because she figured since I wasn't in the car it should be okay to smoke and even though my husband told her not to smoke in the car she did it anyway.

We are a non smoking household with 2 children (12m and 5year old), my five year ild daughter has a continues cough because of grandma smoking around her and doesn't find anything wrong with smoking around children.

I went inside the car the nextr day and of course it still STANKED I got so mad again that I wanted to march myself over there and remind myself to stop smoking in our car! I decided to let out a loud scream instead and take a few deep breaths and count to 10 instead of going over there and sying something I would regret later.

I undestand the addiction to cigarretts but she needs to also respect our breathing space especially for the children!! She has no consideration what so ever! And that is what makes me mad most of all!!!!

Nancygray2

Asked by Nancygray2 at 3:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Health

• I wouldn't get so mad. Life is too short. Open the windows and let it air out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I'd be FURIOUS. Especially since you have kids. Your husband, however, should have stood up to her, and thrown her out of the car for lighting up. He should have at least pulled over and made her get out to smoke. That would seriously piss me off, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• you must be a smoker mompam because it is not so easy to get rid of ciggarrett smoke.
    Nancygray2

Comment by Nancygray2 (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• i would get mad since she was told not to! she should respect you more then that! anyone who smokes should respect other people who do not! i do smoke or atleast before i got pregnant and if someone didnt like smoke around them then i didnt smoke around them. now that i am pregnant just the smell of cigarettes make me sick so i would expect the same from other people who smoke! everyone who smoke need to remember that not everyone smokes and should have respect to atleast step outside away from people and other peoples stuff! especially kids they dont need to be around it at all!!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I would have pulled over and kicked the bitch out
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yes, I would. I don't mind cigarette. BUT I do mind if someone smoke in my house or in our car where the children can smell or get anything from it. I would just stop the car if I would be your HB and tell his mum that either stop smoking or walk/ we are not going anywhere. She asked a favour from you. And she didn't care. I am mad if someone smokes around children where they can inhale the smoke. If there is a party outside and the children can't get hurt than ok. Smoking is a thing that every adult can decide if they do or not. But do not around those thing, children can get hurt.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 4:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• musicpices, I did talk to my husband about not standing up to her as much as I would have liked him to. It is very annoying to me when he doesn't do stand up to her because he takes out his frustration on me that he didn't have to guts to take out on her. I wouldn't go as far as to throw her out but I as her son would have warnned her that if she lit that cigarret or didn't put it out I would take her ciggarretts and throw them out the window.
    Nancygray2

Comment by Nancygray2 (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I dont think Id be as furious as you seem to be. Maybe it is because I am getting older I just try not to let things piss me off like that, plus your husband was in the car and knew it would piss you off and obviously let her. He could have taken it out of her mouth and threw it out the window. Id keep a bottle of Febreeze for the car since I doubt she is going to stop smoking, or stop smoking in the car.

Answer by gemgem at 4:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• The selfishness that leads to disrespect is what I can't take!!
    Nancygray2

Comment by Nancygray2 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Gemgem, I agree up to the point that life is too short that's and I also try to not get angry at little things but I don't see second hand smoking a a lite issue. Febreeze does not work miracles on cigarette smoke. I took my daughter to the doctors office because of the annoying cough and the first thing he asked me was if we smoke in the house? I replied no but grandma smokes. he advice us not to take our daughter to grandmas house because the cigarette smokes is invaded in the furniture and walls and that is part of the problem with her cough.

Nancygray2

Comment by Nancygray2 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2010