Dry bean question.

I'm making white chicken chili. The recipe calls for jarred beans, which I passed up due to the outrageous amount of sodium. I soaked my beans overnight, and have them cooking right now.

Here's my question - do I use the cooking liquid in the chili? The recipe doesn't even say whether or not to drain the jarred beans. So do I use the liquid or drain them? Kind of a general bean question, if I make any bean soup in the future, drain or use the cooking liquid?

(This recipe does call for 2 cans chicken broth, if that makes a difference - though for the amount of other ingredients that just doesn't seem like much.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• No, do not use the cooking liquid in the chili. In fact, drain them from the cooking liquid and rinse them.
    You will all fart much, much less if you do this.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 4:05 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I ALWAYS drain and rinse canned beans before using them, when I do use them (I also prefer to use my own). The only time I ever use the "juice" is when I make "refried" beans, and even then, I simply put the juice and the beans in a pan and mash. I don't add any fats to them.
    I wouldn't use the cooking liquid. If the chili seems dry, you can always add water or broth.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I, too, drain and rinse unless it says specifically to not.

When you're cooking the beans to use in recipes - cook extra and freeze in small freezer bags then you'll always have them on hand and not need canned beans :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 4:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• When using beans I always drain and rinse the beans before adding them to whatever. You can always add more water or broth to the chili if you need.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 4:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I would cook it for a while and if it seems like it needs more liquid then add the bean liquid. When I make chilie I put in the liquid from all the beans.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• @Jenny - roflmao! That alone is enough reason to not use it!

@music - I have always drained & rinsed canned beans too - I just decided I need to quit using them because I can't have all the sodium.

@AAA - that's the plan! I figured I'd need 1 lb, so I'm cooking 2, for exactly that reason, to make another batch of this in a few weeks and not have to soak & cook again!

Thanks ladies. I shall be draining and using other liquids!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Drain them, either canned or the soaking liquid from dried beans. For canned, it removes some sodium, for both, it removes the gas causing compounds.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I too have started cooking my own beans to reduce the amount of sodium. I would drain the beans like everyone else said
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Id drain & rinse
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I agree that draining them is best.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2010