How often do you change the tires on your car?

We had ours done 2 years ago and they are all weather tires. They don't do so well on snow...
I have no idea how often you're suppose to change tires on cars

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Shopping

• Measuring wise they say 1/16 inch or less is unsafe.

Penny test:
    If you can see the very top of Lincoln's head or the copper above it, replace the tires immediately.
    If Lincoln's hair on the top of his head is partially visible, it is time to go shopping for tires.
    If you cannot see the hair on the top of his head (if the coin is inserted enough that the tire tread is at least as deep as Lincoln's forehead), your tires do not need replacing yet.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• We use that penny trick. When the tread gets below Abe's eyes,they need a replacement

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• It depends on the tread depth. They should not need changing in 2 years unless you put major mileage on them.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Depends on how many miles you go and if you change out your tires in the winter and summer! Usually mine last for 3 yrs!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 4:47 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I change mine every two years. We only have one car and hubby works 40 miles away, so we drive a lot
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I change mine when the tread is really worn down...dangerously low. I then buy all four new. I usually buy 80,000 mile tires which last about 4 years.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• What Melbornj says..........thats the rule I go by too.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 5:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I believe each tire is different, they go by milage. But 2 yrs is a very long time to have a tire, if you stick a penny in the tread and it doesn't go up past lincoln's head(pointed down) then it is time to get new tires. You can also go to most tire shops and have them assess the tires for free, all they really do is look at them lol.

We just put new tires on a used car we bought, luckily for us they were cheaper ones, only 280 for all four.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:47 PM on Dec. 31, 2010