Have you ever started a rumor? Why? What did become of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• LOL Yes I have but it was about myself. I grew up in a really small town where everyone knew everyone and everything everyone did. So when I moved away after graduation I was dating this guy my parents disliked so when I came back for a visit I wore a cubic zerconia on my left ring finger and told everyone I could that we were getting married. My mom eventually found out and asked me about it and I busted out laughing and told her I started it. LOL
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Not on purpose. I have told someone (I thought) I could trust some information and they told others. I've learned that if you don't want anyone to know something, don't tell anyone.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think a few years ago a co-worker and I started an extremely silly rumor about another co-worker, just to see if we could spread it by lunchtime. I have no recollection what the rumor was, but it wasn't anything hurtful, and the "victim" was one of our lunch buddies. We pretty much failed, since we couldn't keep straight faces while trying to drop the fake rumor into conversation. It was a really slow month at work, I think.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• not that I can think of I am glad I never did things like that!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 4:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• No, but I have definitely contributed by gossiping. I feel bad about it, but it's hard not to. I mainly just gossip about family (in-laws) though.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 4:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Not that I know of. I don't think people usually intend to start rumors, I think they like passing along something they heard, and then it starts going the rounds, sometimes changing as it goes along. My aunt used to say that people tell a secret just so they can let others know that someone trusted them, and by telling it, they let everyone know that they are untrustworthy.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• No I never have
    JenE1098

Answer by JenE1098 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I USED to know people whom would get the stories wrong certain people told them, add things to it and it go down that road and be all misconstrued!

But no. Never started or contributed to a rumer.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 6:05 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• In High School, my best friend earned the nick-name 'Action Chic' ... yes, THAT kind of action.

To prevent it spilling onto me, I started the rumor that boys were calling me 'No Action Chic'. It worked. I no longer had to fight off dates, they knew not to expect any 'action' from me. LOL
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:31 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• No, but I've enjoyed reading the stories!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2010