Anyone have ideas on how to stop a 6 year old from stealing food?

Ok. Here is the deal. My DS is 6 and thinks that it is ok for him to steal food from the fridge and cabinets. You would think that I never feed him or he is lacking in meals. Anywhere else that he goes he won't but when he gets home we have to be with him all the time. It has got to the point to where we are locking the fridge up at night so when we are sleeping he don't take anything. He knows how to unlock the child locks and if we have the other keys down he can undo them as well.
Thank you so much for any help with this, though it is quite embarrassing

rainfey

Asked by rainfey at 4:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How do you steal from your own house?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• when he gets things without telling anyone and then us finding things after the fact. If he would ask me for something and it was not before a meal he would get it. But he thinks he can have all he wants no matter what
    rainfey

Comment by rainfey (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• why can't he eat more? My son is only 3 but he is allowed to get into certain areas in the fridge and cupboards. As long as a child is active enough and allowed healthy snacks there is very low risk of eating "to much". I personally would buy him some healthy/nutritional snacks that he can have throughout the day, or at certain times.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Does he have an eating disorder? Weight issue?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Keep only healthy food in the fridge that you dont mind him eating. Any junk food can be stored in a locked container and put on a shelf. I saw this on Supernanny once and the kids had certain times a day when they could pick their treats. If you are worried about the key then def dont keep it down for him to get to. My nephew is the same way say I know where youre coming from...to an extent
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• he doesn't have an eating disorder or any weight issues. as far as the healthy snacks I would allow him to do that if i would know that he wouldn't get anything else while he was in there.
    rainfey

Comment by rainfey (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• When my kids were Little but, old enough to open the fridge & cabinets they could pretty much Help themselves within reason........ so, i am not sure Why your son can't? i would never make them feel like they were Stealing Food from their Own Home!

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 5:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

•   MY 7 YO AUTISTIC SON EATS ALL THE TIME I HAD TO PUT LOCKS ON CAINETS AND WEE GETTING READY TO PUT 1 BACK ON THE REFRIGE. HE DOES TAKE MEDICATION (SEROQUEL)

19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• well when I am here and so is his Dad and all he has to do is ask for something or even if he wanted to pick something out for himself/ again I wouldn't mind it. But when it is climbing on counters to get junk or sneaking in to get anything I do have a problem with it. I keep meat on my bottom shelf and that is the main reason for me not liking him in there when I am not watching what he gets. He will leave food under his bed until either I find it or it starts to smell. I am sorry if this has made some of you question me but this is a major problem.
    rainfey

Comment by rainfey (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I don't get where the issue is; why don't you put specific items that are ingredients for dinner, etc, on one shelf, and tell him that that shelf is off-limits? This controlling attitude about feeding your kid is confusing us all.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2010