I own a violin and just had it repaired...

I do not know how to read music yet; which means I do not know how to play the violin either.
I was looking online for violin lessons and I was just wondering if someone who gives lessons also teaches you how to read music.
Would anyone have any ideas of where I should start?

idaspida

Asked by idaspida at 5:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I played the viola for years! Well, I would still play if I could get the instrument in working order again. Anyway, I second the "Essential Elements" recommendation. That is one of the best books I have seen. If you have anyone nearby you could ask who plays violin, I would have them show you where you put your fingers and then mark it, so that you know you are putting them in the same place every time. A fingerings chart will be much easier if you have the marks on the fingerboard.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• yes they will teach you how to read music. My suggestion (though everyone is different) is to go to the music store and buy a beginners violin book that has all the fingerings(in a chart) in the back, and just practice, practice, practice. Once you find lessons they can reccomend more ways for specifically the violin(I play the clarinet).

Good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• A good music teacher will, of course, teach you how to read music. It's really not as hard as it looks. I learned to play the violin in high school and, after 15+ years of not playing, my dad bought me a new violin and I've had to reteach myself everything. I got the Essential Elements for violin book and it will teach you the fundamentals (it's made for all ages, my oldest had the same one for clarinet in 4th grade).  Even though I played years ago (in my high school orchestra) I've been using it and it's very helpful.  It's amazing how much stuff you can forget even after doing it for years, lol.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2010