So my parents may be getting a divorce....

Why if they got a divorce, would I feel devistated? I mean, I'm a grown woman with 4 children of my own...married for 5 years. Why am I having a hard time with this?
It makes me think of how much it affects LITTLE CHILDREN when two people get a divorce...?
I mean, I'm not even under their roof anymore, I have my own life, and I have a little more understanding and maturity than a child may have when thinking "why is this happening" "my parents don't love me" ...that sort of stuff.
Is this ridiculous? Has anyone else thought of this?
Also, I would say I'm closer to my mom than my dad....I really don't know how much more distant from my dad I would be if they got a divorce????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• Its sad to see anyone go through a divorce and its ten times harder when its your own parents. You want them both to be happy and you have so many memories with them together. But those memories willl always be there and what youre feeling is normal. Things will work out and everyone will be so happy in the end.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• What you're feeling is normal. Essentially, a part of your past is ending with their divorce. They have been together your entire life, so it is natural for you to feel distressed to see them apart. You are grieving the loss of that part of your life. Try to remember that your mother and father each have their own identities aside from being your parents. And because you love them, it's important to put aside your judgment, to try and not think of them as one parental entity. Support them as individuals who are searching for a way to be happy and complete even if it's not in the way you envisioned.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I am going through that too, I'm 22. It is weird, I HATE my dad's new girlfriend, though I have never met her and the whole situation is very awkward. Good luck
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I am sorry.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• my parents had a horrible marriage. they stayed together for us kids but then when my brother turned 18 3 yrs ago they seprated. its been rough but it has also been the better thing to do. my mom has her bf and dad is still single. they havent filed the divorce papers because they dont have the money
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 8:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I love neebug's answer. Even tho you're grown, you're still their little girl. You had the comfort of your family & now that is changing. You will still have them, but not the same way you're used to. It's going to take time to adjust- almost like a grieving process. I wish you all the best.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• It's just an adjust you have to figure out for yourself. I do believe in time you will find those answers you just asked. Just focus on their happiness even though they are apart. Things will be alright.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My hubby's parents got a divorce last year and was finalized this year! He doesn't really talk much about it but I know it bothers him, I think he just doesn't want to pick sides, but kind of has pick his dads side cuz his mom is kind of psycho!! But thats a really long story, I'm sorry your having to go through this!!
    momma2b2008

Answer by momma2b2008 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Shit happens. Just stay in contact with them the same way you have since you left their home. They're both still grandparents of your children.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:31 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• you are an adult, get over it. It is not about you
    BeautytheBeast

Answer by BeautytheBeast at 4:19 PM on Jan. 1, 2011