Is anyone here a nurse? Job question.

What levels of nursing are there and what kind of schooling is needed in each level? Do you like your job?

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Money & Work

• I am an RN... this is the stages i took... I was an EMT then a paramedic then a LPN and then a RN and now going to school to be a doctor to deliver babies in the NICU! A LPN class takes a year if u do it full time and if you do it part time about a year and a half depending on the school if they allow u to only do half of a year... some dont...... Being an RB takes 2 years.... if ur arent a LPN first... I finished in 3 months....i worked my A** off to get it done... I love my job more than anything... and will love it more once i finish school this dec....
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 9:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• LPN and RN are the main ones. and it depends on what school you go to you have basics and 2 years in the nursing program
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 9:57 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• lpn-one year
    rn- two years associate
    rn- four years bsn
    advance practice nurse, anywhere from 6-8 years, up to 10 if specializing.

Now the difference in wages for associate rn, and masters rn are very much the same...a floor nurse is a floor nurse, and they get paid for that job the same. The nurses with the more advanced degree have a better chance at a desk job, management, etc, but it all depends on what you want to do. I wouldnt take a management position if they paid me double
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 5:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Oh, and by the way, I don't like nursing anymore. I work from home now and don't deal with the stress. Nurses are overworked everywhere, and in any other profession working with that much stress at that pace would be unheard of. I cant imagine why it is allowed, but it is. Someone is making a huge profit, but it isn't the nurses I assure you.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 6:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I'm a L&D nurse. I have a 4 year degree (bachelors in nursing, BSN) and plan to go back to school. I absolutely LOVE my job! I feel guilty that I get paid as much as I do to do this, it's the best job ever. No, I'm not making hundreds of thousands of dollars but it's a decent income and it's a field where I will never, ever have to be afraid to be jobless. Even if I lost my current job, I could find another one in a matter of weeks. I LOVE being a nurse.
    Anonymous