HYGENE....Please!!!

My son does not realize when he has BO. It is mad awful to be remotely close to this kid when he is sending the fumes around. I just made him wash his pits and throw tons of deoderant on.

Is this behavior normal for teen boys???

cerealmom2

Asked by cerealmom2 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Just a thought... not regarding the discipline of it all, as I think everyone is in agreement there, but more in regards to "teen boy funk"... If you have a guy that truly is showering but can't get rid of that "funk" smell, and he is bothered by it (yes, they're out there!) Have him try pouring plain white vinegar on a wash cloth, then add his soap & wash as usual. The vinegar will balance the ph levels and get rid of that funk! If he uses a stick deodorant, wipe that down with a vinegar-dampened paper towel at the same time.
    CrunchyCarol

Answer by CrunchyCarol at 10:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I believe it is, yes. Teen boys are really funky and gross. Lol!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• PS get him extra deodorants. small travel sized ones perhaps.... backpack, school locker, and so on. also consider axe body spray or something like that. if he starts getting compliments on smelling good it'll encourage good decision making. ... if he makes honest good hygiene efforts and you still smell him, he may need something prescription strength from the dermatologist.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yes it is normal, went through this with my son. I mad a shower schedule for him. He was not allowed to go anywhere until he took a shower. I woke him up early in the mornings so he could shower before school. I went as far as taking his gameboy away from him after school, wasn't allowed to stay for an after school sport if he didnt atke a shower in the morning before school. He wasnt a happy camper for a couple of weeks and I was the worst mother in the world, but it worked.....
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• daily showing (and a clean shirt and deodorant) needs to become part of the daily routine, asap. and if he's done something very energetic like mowing the lawn or playing a game of basketball it needs to be ingrained in his mind that a 2nd shower will likely be necessary. have a super casual conversation saying you need to take a shower every single day, no exceptions. do you want 1st dibs on the bathroom in the morning or evening?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• hibbingmom, We have been through the whole thing - shower everyday, wash your pits, etc. He has his axe deodorant and body spray, etc. It is tough to get him into the shower, but lately he has been getting zits and that finally is sinking in, he needs to wash more. He always showers after his hockey games. It is just encouraging him to do it more often.

cerealmom2

Comment by cerealmom2 (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Lololololol... You're really going to downgrade me for saying the truth? Teenage boys ARE gross.

Source : Here is a UK study about teenage boys and their smell.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/886135/Smelly-teens-Boffins-study-the-smell-of-teenage-boys.html

BOFFINS are seeking 60 families to help prove that teenage boys SMELL.

I am trying to find the results of this.

Also :

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/958735/the_top_5_reasons_to_avoid_teenage.html

Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Taken from associatedcontent.com link

They smell bad.

Seriously this can be a huge problem. Something occurs especially in young teenage boys, when the hormones begin to kick in. They forget to change their socks; they magically don't notice their own body odor; and the t-shirt they wear the most could probably get up and walk to the laundry room by itself. An allergy to soap and water can develop so if you have one of these special creatures in your home, watch for that. If you don't but you see one walking down the sidewalk, be careful not to walk down-wind. Oh yes, before I forget, passing gas is a favorite pass time of theirs. Thankfully in a couple of years, it varies per boy, this stage in their development passes only to be replaced by another stage almost equally as obnoxious.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Raz - I didn't vote you down, I AGREE with you!
    cerealmom2

Comment by cerealmom2 (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• @ OP - No, I was talking about the negative Nancy up above. =)
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:00 PM on Dec. 31, 2010