If you own a house, Do u regret your decision? what are the pros and cons

tishmomof2

Asked by tishmomof2 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have never regretted owning my own house. The pros are numerous - tax break, equity, etc. The cons are few and far between, mostly just maintenance but if you stay on top of things and fix them sooner rather than later, you're good to go.
    Anonymous

• i love owning our home but honeslty at time it sucks because if something goes wrong like say a plumbing issue or electricty or something major its not my landlords problem to fix its ours and things like that can be spendy. But i have to remember at least when i pay my mortgage that its someday truly going to be my house lol.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• We own a house and yes I do regret it at this point. We have to move because of my dh's job and we are having a tough time selling the house. He's had to move to Florida and I'm still in Ohio because it hasn't sold. We'll be renting next time around so we won't have this problem again!
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think ownership is terrifying. I have a 4 bedroom house I love w/ a finished basement and an enormous yard for my kids. And about 5 very expensive things broke this year. We would NOT have money to fix the. Thankfully the owner did..... having renters rights is a good fit for my family.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• While I love the fact we own our own home, the only regret I have is the house itself. We ended up buying hubs Grandpa's house after Grandpa was no longer able to live alone. The house is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath house-- which was fine when it was just hubs, me and our cat. Well in the 17 years we have lived here we have had 3 kids, adopted a 2nd cat and of course we accumulated a lot of stuff! So now it is way too small.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I regret buying our home. Once my DH lost his job it become more than we could handle with higher heating and cooling bills, higher monthly payments and having to do our own repairs. Money wise we were MUCH better off renting an Apt.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:11 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My one regret was rushing into buying a house when we obviously weren't ready to own. We were kinda living beyond our means, and that kinda bit us in the butt when we had to move out of state. We barely had the money to live in the new state and keep up with the house we owned in our old state for the first 6 months. Because of the economy, our house didn't sell right away. It was either eat and live, and let the house go, or struggle every month to pay rent.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Never. I love my home and knowing that I can do anything to it I want - hang anything anywhere, change anything, upgrade stuff, etc. I absolutely love my house and can't imagine knowing that I might have to move out at some point.

Answer by missanc at 7:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I love my home. This is our second home, having a job change before the real estate bubble broke we were able to sell our 1st house fast and for a fair price. We will never NOT own a home. The tax breaks, the equity, the security. We didn't buy what we couldn't afford. We never miss our mortgage payment and even refinance when the interest rates get better than our current mortgage rate. We also didn't do an adjustable mortgage.
    I can do what I want to the house when I want to. We remodeled our garage into a den, added a wired workshop for hubby in the backyard, can put gardens in, can paint the walls any color I wish, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I love my home, although I wish I had gotten greedy when we bought it and had held out for a bigger house. Owning a home will always be better for me than renting.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2010