Can I find work in a flower shop?

I am 41 and have been out of work for 6 mos. I taught preschool for 7 years and got really burnt out on it. So i decided to go back to school and enrolled in an online bachelor degree program. To date I have one more year to complete my degree. In the meantime I would love to find part time work to help with finances as well as keep me busy. I live in southern California and am thinking it might be fun to work in a flower shop. Has anyone ever worked in a flower shop and if so, would I be easily hired? Are there any inside tips I should know? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• good luck. Here they are family owned/family run with the exception of delivery drivers

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I have seen an ad in our local paper for help in a flower show a few times! I'm s ure it may take a little time but it could happen! Good luck
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 7:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My mom owns her own floral business out of her home. When I lived in CA I was able to get a job in a flower shop, but I've done it all my life....
    Do you have any experience in that field? If not, and if you live in SoCal....try Baldy View ROP and you can take a semester class for some training! GL!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:53 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Write a great cover letter for every flower shop in your area, and mail or email to the owners of each shop, with your resume.
    Follow up with a phone call in two weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Never hurts to try.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:55 AM on Jan. 1, 2011